Which model to choose?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by MK4 GTI TURBO, Oct 8, 2010.

1. MK4 GTI TURBO Forum Member

Been away for a while but now I may be making another appearance. I've had a dedicated track car before, but sold it about two or three years ago. I've regretted it ever since. It was an early Mk2 Golf GTI 16v, with no PAS or ABS or any other driver aids. This was it

[​IMG]

It was stripped and caged and upgraded in just about every aspect bar the engine. I've been made redundant but have managed to find another job with a substantial pay rise, as such I'm potentially on the look out for another track car. But I have a dilema, I don't know whether to go for another Mk2 or a Mk4 GTI Turbo (I've had one of these also - hence the username - I also modded this one) or a Corrado or something else.

I'll probably also use it for a few competitions, hill climbs and sprints (at the moment I share a Caterham with my dad) so it needs a decent engine to start with. I can change suspension and brakes within the regs but once I start changing the engine I go into a modified class. Still needs to be cheap (ish) to run and modify (and repair).

Any ideas?

2. Bomber604

Bomber604 Forum Member

It's got to be a MK2, parts in plentiful supply, easier & cheaper to upgrade. almost limitless potential depending on your budget.

If you want the speed of the mk4 then chuck a 1.8T in it!!!

3. Fray16v Forum Member

i'd stick with the mk2 my opinion though. but if you could get one for penny's like the one for sale onscottishvag in the car's for sale 2nd page bottom mk2 16v 300 http://www.scottishvag.com/

here's the ad as i couldn't get the link to go straight to the ad.

bandit
    Post subject: Golf GTI 16V spares or repair 300Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:49 pm

Paid Member

157000 miles tax mot just ran out SORNed
    GOOD
    Standard big bumper spec 16v
    mechanically sound well serviced and runs well
    Everything works (E/W MFA etc)
    BBS alloys
    with upgraded headlamp loom
    Excellent condition rainbow trim seats

Photo-0031 by allanpenny, on Flickr

BAD
    Bodywork poor
    Water leak to interior (I think from windscreen)
    Previous owner has removed carpets and rear seat belts (included)

I was going to do something with it but a change in circumstances means its got to go.

Lochwinnoch near Paisley

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2017
  4. MK4 GTI TURBO Forum Member

Been looking into this a bit more, how does a Corrado VR6 handle in comparison to a Mk2 Golf 16v? I was always put of the VR6 because of the "heavy lump".

5. AjVR Forum Member

1240 kg and 58% front weight distribution for standard corrado VR6 according to car folio. Id go with a valver personally.