Which Oil? 020 with Gemini LSD

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Richair, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Richair

Richair Forum Member

Hi folks,

Just bought a Gemini (now Ricardo) plate-type LSD for my 020 'box and im wondering what oil to use. Standard-type oils are no good for the plate diff' and LSD oils are no good for the syncros...

I've contacted Morris's technical team, so they're on the case with a recommendation from their range (if they actually have something suitable!).

What's the general consensus on here regarding this? Quaife/Peloquins do not apply though; Torsens generally require a different lubricant to plate diffs ;)

Thanks, Rich

2. yeha Forum Member

Depends how often you want to rebuild it. You have a choice of wearing the plates or the synchros. There was a thread recently on British Rally, I've put the relevant comments below. These were made by the boss of Protec motorsport, who is ex VW and Audi motorsport.

If your box & diff are incorporated and it's a synco gear kit then NO don't use a gear oil with a LS additive.

Examples:
    Millers CRX 80W 90LS = stand alone diff units
    Millers CRX 80W 90 BM (also has LS additive in it) but for use with Dog gearkits only
    Millers CRX 80W90 or CRX 75W 90 use in syncro gearkits,and although there is no LSD plate additive will not cause any undue wear problems to the LS unit.

Ok Millers CRX 80X90 LS,is not recommended in synco boxes.
    But there is NO need to panic if you are using it !
    All the LS additive will do is increase the wear rate of the syncros a little.

Personally we have been using it in the Nova & Corsa synco boxes for years,as we prefer to have LS plate protection over any increased wear rate of the syncos.

From our experience, the hammering the syncos take in competiton use means they need replacing pretty frequently than any road car box anyway,so wear rate does not really come into it.
    We would go for LS plate protection every time..

It's only since the Millers tech guys suggested to us that the LS additive can harm the syncros,that we have stopped recommending it to customers....but that said 80w 90 with the LS additive it is still going in our boxes without any fears.

Bottom line is it's your choice,use the LS additive and replace worn synco hubs/rings a little more frequently or compromise the performance of the LS unit ?

3. Richair

Richair Forum Member

Once again Yeha, very helpful! So I guess you're using an LS type oil in your polo box then?

Think I would much sooner protect an expensive diff than cheap syncros... Cheers!

4. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

I use Redline MTL with the Quaife Diff fitted.

5. yeha Forum Member

I've used the TRX version as I got it locally at the right price. It's not quite the same and I should be using the CRX. Depending on the preload and ramp angles, you may find it's quite a handful and it certainly crackles at low speed. If there's any weakness in your shafts, it'll soon become apparent. I'm fitting the Corsa EPAS column to make it less physical to drive.

6. Richair

Richair Forum Member

I'll probably end up using the CRX 80X90 LS, or equivilent Morris's oil.

Not sure what the settings are on the diff, as it's been sat unused on the shelf at a motorsport team for a few years. Don't really want to have to go the PAS route, so i'll have to see on that one! If need's be, i'll just bulk up more! A stronger me weighs less than PAS lol.

Cheers! Rich

7. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

castrol B373

8. Richair

Richair Forum Member