Which oil???

Discussion in '8-valve' started by watty1974, Mar 1, 2009.

1. watty1974 Forum Member

In the process of putting my 84 gti Mk2 back together, was just wondering which engine oil can be recommended to put in? (The motor is standard)

Thanks

2. garnetteyes Forum Member

If its just been rebuild (piston rings etc...) you should run it on cheap oil for the first 500 milesish. I tend to use a cheap mineral 15W40 or even the ASDA smartprice oil.

If its not been rebuilt, or if it has after the cheap oil and a new filter, I'd go for a decent semi-synthethic 10W40 or 15W40. The 10W40 GSF sell is pretty good.

3. tinydubs

tinydubs Forum Member

cheap oil in a newly rebuilt engine?? that would be retarded. running a engine in on cheap oil is asking for trouble. there are dedicated oils specific for running in purposes.

10w 40 is the recommended grade, if it`s ticking a little bit, then it`s time for some remedial work, possibly new tappets or different shims. too thick an oil causes cooling problems even on older engines.

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

you want non-synth cheapo running in oil to get the rings to bed properly

5. watty1974 Forum Member

Thanks guys for all the advice, hasnt had new rings so i think i will opt for a semi-synth 10-40.:thumbup:

6. watty1974 Forum Member

Does anyone happen to know how much oil an 8v will take from a compete drain. (Ev engine code)?

7. sjm66 Forum Member

just done an oil change on my EV. Mr Haynes quotes 4ltrs with a filter change and 3.5ltrs without a filter change.

S

8. watty1974 Forum Member

Thanks, forgot to check Mr Haynes :thumbup:

9. garnetteyes Forum Member

I've rebuild a fair few engines now and they've always bed in fine with a cheaper oil, a semi-synth could stop the rings from bedding and cause the bores to glaze. Running in oil is just a straight 30 weight thick oil (of a poor quaility with no additives) which people use for the about 100ish miles prior to rebuild, you will find then that most people then drain that and stick in a cheap mineral oil (thick and with no additives) for the next 500ish miles before adding a decent oil.

I know this is off topic but I couldn't accept my advise being deemed 'retarded'

Nick

10. mk28vICED Forum Member

i agree with the flush method, run for afew days with new engine then change it.
    i use titan 10w 40 from GSF for all my mk2's.
    just added a magnetic sump plug to get the metal particles out its got a bloody strong magnet!

11. garnetteyes Forum Member

Those filter magnets are supposed to be good as well