Which Panel Filter???

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by Flipper, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Flipper Forum Member

Im off down to GSF when i finish work today on a mission for either a pipercross or K&N panel filter.

I was wondering which panel filter is best for a drilled airbox in a Mk2 8v GTI?????

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

do a search, there is a lot of info.

in my experience, do not drill the airbox unless all youre interested in is extra noise.

as for filter, there is not much to gain flow wise but plenty to lose filtration wise. the piper ought to be better at filtering but not much better than a good paper item

the improvement will be marginal. paper filter or pipercross IMO

3. Flipper Forum Member

Ok cheers, i have already got a drilled box.
    I wasn't sure if there was a better panel for a drilled box over a standard one.

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

in theory a better filter would flow more but most of them sacrifice filtration... which is what a filter is there for.

most of the restriction is in the airbox and MAF so even going to a cone doesnt achieve much when you consider all the hot air itll breath (which is why drilling the box sucks too)

mod the airbox to get more cold air in. thats about the extent of the mods you can do to the airbox.

5. tobyk

tobyk Forum Member

General advice is to stay away from foam filters as they can break up and fook up your AFM etc