Which replacement gearbox for my ABF mk2 golf?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Carl loader, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Carl loader Forum Member

Right, just in case my gearbox is shot, im trying to prepare myself by finding out which gearboxes would be suitable for my ABF mk2. I've currently got an ibiza cupra 16v box at the mo, but just wondering which of the following would be a good replacement:

1. Corrado 16v (1.8 & 2.0)
    2. Passat 16v
    3. Obviosly mk3 golf 16v or another cupra 16v box

Any other suggestions would be great, just trying to find which one would be the cheapest from a breakers

Cheers

2. loadsavalves

loadsavalves Forum Member

I've got a corrado 16v box in mine at the moment and it seems pretty close to the old 2Y box. I had a Passat 9A 16v box before and it was just too long.

3. Carl loader Forum Member

Cheers for the info mate, i definately don't want the gears to be too long, mind you to be honest the ibiza box i have does seem a little tall geared in 3rd and 4th

Any other suggestions more than welcome

4. loadsavalves

GVK's got a mk3 16v box. That's probably a good bet.

5. Carl loader Forum Member

Yeah not a bad idea, its just trying to find one thats not ridiculuosly priced. I went onto that parts gateway website where they hunt the parts down for you, but the cheapest quote i've had so far is 225 delivered (Sanburn autos), which im not sure if thats good or not

6. Daz... Forum Member

not sure what codes the gearboxes are but they might be covered in this website -

http://www.scirocco.org/gears/

if they are then it'll give you a good idea as to what box would be best for you

7. davey Forum Member

ive got a 02a ayk coded box out of a 8v 2.0gl digi? (2.0 gti set up if you like!)passat here in worcestershire you can have for 60 if you want it c/w clutch & flywheel!

8. loadsavalves

I bought an O2A corrado gearbox off Ebay for 40. Nothing wrong with it. Obviously I don't know the mileage or history but for 40 you can't complain. Anyway the way things have been going I break then before they break themselves. :lol: