Which Setup

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by rivsm, Jan 3, 2008.

1. rivsm New Member

Hi Guys

Im new to this although i signed up a while ago ive been busy with a turbo project on my BMW. As we are nearing completion I thought it would be great to gather info on turbocharging a GTi.

Im no stranger to the GTi as I had a 1983 1.8 Golf II GTi with a 276 Billet cam, Cowley branch and a custom exhaust and boy did she move.[:D]

I would like to know what would be the easiest and cheapest GTi engine to go the FI route?[:s]
    What sort of money would it invovle and what sort of power to expect?[:s]

Just a feeler so I have an idea on the way ahead.

Thank you

2. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

What power are you after? What management (OEM or standalone)?

3. rivsm New Member

Well not sure really as I dont know what type of power they make but probably around the 300BHP mark if possible and using ms.

Im not sure what the realistic power outputs are?

4. Wolfsburg-Motorsport New Member

There's quite a few different routes u can go. Conversions are easier in a mk2 base car than a mk1, corrado parts can be used and mk3 parts too. Swaps for a 2 are G60/vr6/1.8t/16vT/8vT and if u want big power vr6T! [}:)] Most companies will charge anywhere between 4-6k for a decent full 20vT conversion but if u can do the work urself u can build any of the above for that price or less. A mk1 will need mounts and other bits bought/made for it where a mk2 can use another vw models' bits.

The mk1/2 020 boxes are fairly weak from general opinion and the 02a (vr6/g60) boxes are capable of handling 300hp+ but are cable change instead of rod change, so other mods are needed for that part of the conversion (see Qpeng's site for a 20vT+02a conv guide on mk1/2 or funksoulkitty).

I would personally stay away from the 20vT for the time being as the prices are still high for these engines. They seem to go for 500-1k just for the engine+small k03/s (<215hp) turbo! Or 1250 [:s] for eng/box/loom/ko3!!
    I managed to get a complete 2.0 16v (97) ABF engine in good nick with clutch/fuel rail/inlet etc for 120 so i'd look at that route, spacer gasket, t3/gt28 or similar turbo and custom pipe work for 300 ponies. Another route is the 8/16v hybrid, the mk3 8v ABA/ADY or similar blocks are used with a 2.0 16v head (ABF/9A) and a few other bits. This gives a low 8:1 compression because of the 8v's pistons dish as opposed to the 9:1 of a spacered 16v. The 20vT inj are generally 300-360cc I think so these would need replacing for 300hp, 440's from the states is what u want.

Try 16vT or aba/abf conversions on the net for more info, the cheapest/best route for over 200-250hp in my opinion. :thumbup: Also check Toyotecs thread for his 16vT conv, some good details on his 300hp beasty. A ko4 equipped conversion went for just under a grand a few weeks back on ebay with most bits and with some more parts ud get 260+hp. Also look at buying a mk3 vr6 and turboing that, even low boost u get good numbers.

U want anymore info, give us a shout an i'll point u in the right direction, have a trawl through the forums, thats ur best bet :thumbup:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  5. judderi Forum Member

Good reply that man!

6. Wolfsburg-Motorsport New Member

Cheers, I do tend to waffle on when posting!! [:$] The 20vT is the most popular choice as its pre-made to be a turbo engine and if u can get the complete set-up, even better, but the people selling them have cottoned on so prices are steep. Even with taxes and delivery its still cheaper to get stuff from the states then buy here and theres loads of people that can post it from theirs in the US if the companies dont deliver to the UK.
    Quick list of US/UK/EU shops for u to trawl thru too rivsm:
    Bahn brenner motorsport
    Boost factory
    Summit racing
    SK Motorsport
    ATP
    Kinetic motorsport
    Ross machine racing
    GRS Motorsport
    ORZ Motorsport
    Schimmel performance
    Eurospec sport