Which tool for bushes and bearings?

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by the loop, Dec 25, 2015.

1. the loop Forum Member

Hello and merry Christmas!

I'm planning on changing my wishbone bushes and may do the wheel bearings while I'm in there. I'd like to do this myself, rather than getting a garage to press them in/out so just looking for a bit of advice on which tools to buy? There are plenty of presses and drift sets on eBay but I'm not entirely sure what my best options are. I don't mind paying money for something that's going to last and is suitable for other applications (i.e. a universal kit) but I'd be interested to hear what you guys are using and what you can recommend me.

Links to specific products would be helpful if you can!

Thanks,

Andrew

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  2. S3ALEX90 Forum Member

I've always used a press for bearings and a vice for bushes. There's other methods but this is what I find easiest.

3. pigbladder Forum Addict

20 ton hyd press for the front bearings

4. ThatDaveGuy

ThatDaveGuy New Member

Im in the same boat having just received a full widetrack setup back from the powder coaters. Do i pay a garage to do it, or pay out 100+ on a press or manual sleeve kit that ill probably only use once? If you can get a garage to do it for a decent price, it might be worth just sticking with that route.

If youre hell bent on doing it yourself, maybe look at something like THIS? Laser do a kit which looks to be identical, except theres another 100 on the price lol

5. skydivebaz

skydivebaz Forum Member

Buy a hydraulic bench press or bearing puller kit. The puller kit is cheaper but harder to use. However the 100 outlay will last you a lifetime and you will use it over and over again. I have both and use them over and over and over again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. blis Forum Member

I'd rarely use a press otherwise and its more a matter of gettig the hub to the press than it is pressing in and out a bearing. If you've already removed the hub, then get it down to a workshop with a 6 pack of beer and you'll be done quicker than buying a press and getting it in the back of your car! The real benefit of doing this yourself is you would clean the bearing seat and ensure a good press.

If I ever bought a press, there'd be a large sack of macadamia nuts next to it.

7. blis Forum Member

Pullers can be helped along with a heatgun to expand and loosen things up.

8. oldnick

oldnick Paid Member Paid Member

9. ThatDaveGuy

ThatDaveGuy New Member

Looks like an ideal set, i think ill picking one of those up!