Which Turbo engine option

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by Rustynuts, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Rustynuts Forum Member

I have got a Mk2 Gti which long term i want to do a Turbo conversion on. Now my first thought went towards the tried and tested 1.8T conversion probably using QPE wiring and ECU.

However since then I have thought about using a slightly more bespoke and possibly cheaper option of using G60 management on a PG 1.8 engine. Then using a Garrett T3 or similar. There seems to be good supplies of these turbos especially in the USA, add that to a manifold that seem readily available across the water too.

Now really the question is, shall i go for the later option as I belive i can do it for a lot cheaper. Or shall i just go 1.8T

The other option was possibly using option 2 above with a 16v head. can i just drop a KR head onto a PG bottom end. What power could i produce with a Garrett T3 etc?

I am quite new to Turbos so any suggestions ideas are welcome.

2. nutter4x4 Paid Member Paid Member

how about a crossflowed 8v head on a g60 block and turbo that

3. A_N_Other Forum Member

20V 1.8T is tried and tested, and easy.....
    Depends if you want to drive it, or build it?

20V may also seem more expensive, but it is a known package that will have a limited spend up front, whereas if you do something "bespoke" the cost (and drawn out development) can just keep escalating.... Especially if you aren't sure of what is going on.

Pays your money takes your choice....

4. Rustynuts Forum Member

Well i am again leaning towards 1.8t, the main reason is engines are newer and also that 20v thought. Logically i am thinking the more valves the better. So its got to be a 16v at least.

5. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

As said earlier rob. You are probably best doing a 1.8T. However, had you decided to do this earlier, you could have had a nice 8v Turbo technics kit off me and had quite a bespoke car indeed [:D]

6. Rustynuts Forum Member

I was going to turbo the track car if you remember but did not have the cash

Looking at possibly going the PD oil burner route to be a little different

7. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

If you want track, best to go NA really

8. volkswarren New Member

20v Turbo Should get 200bhp with aftermarket ecu, plus any problems you can buy parts of the shelf if you are having things made how long would you have to wait!