which TURBO

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by nme motorsport, Jan 5, 2014.

1. nme motorsport Forum Member

Hi all

I have a black mk4 tdi on a y plate and I feel a little play in the turbo plus found some oil in the pipe work and intercooler so do I replace with the same turbo or can I bolt on another turbo larger spec for more power ( is it worth it ) the car has the asu engine I think

Many thanks

2. Dan16vTQ New Member

its common for there to be oil in the pipes and intercooler, because of the egr valve, there should also be a slight amount of play in the shaft but only upward and downward.. not in and out.. if you catch my drift.

only worth it going bigger if your going to remap to suit :)

3. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

How does an Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve introduce oil into the intercooler...?

Oil in the inlet manifold upstream of the breather can usually be found, due to oil mist coming from the crankcase. Sooty exhaust gas being fed in from the EGR mixes with this oil mist and causes carbon build up in the inlet manifold (this is why people remove/blank off EGRs)

Radial turbo shaft movement (up/down), as stated, is normal (oil under pressure takes up this space). Any lateral (in/out) would suggest bearing wear which would lead to seal damage/wear/eventual failure, and would introduce oil into the induction system.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  4. Dan16vTQ New Member

Lmfao , yea sorry oil breather not egr ! Duhhh

StuMc likes this.
  5. nme motorsport Forum Member

i will check where the play is and let you all know

Many thanks

6. nme motorsport Forum Member

ok i have just checked the turbo movement up and down left and right but no movement in and out that is noticeable

7. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Sounds good then. :thumbup: