which twin carbs

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by no1tosh, Jan 1, 2008.

1. no1tosh New Member

hi could anyone tell me the best size carbs and specifications to go on my lump.
    its a 1.8 8v head ported and polished with a kent cam on a 2.0L bottom end.

also can i buy any set of carbs say off a ford ect.... and with the corrct manifold ect.. it will fit.

i know this one sounds daft but which are better carbs delorto's or webers or is it just down to personal choice.
    thanks in advance
    tosh

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  2. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

All depends on what power your looking for to start with. For up to 150-160hp, 40's will be fine, over that, you'll need 45's.

Carbs that are used on another engine are ok as long as they're working well. You'll need to re-jet whatever you buy to suit the choke size used/power output of the engine.

The common, off the shelf manifold from most suppliers in the UK is a Mangoletsi. It needs a lot of porting to make it work properly as it comes with very small ports, if you just use it as it comes you'll loose a lot of the performance from the carbs, it will need opening out/shaping with a die grinder.

Dellorto's have a finer range of adjustment than Webers and are a lot of peoples choice for road engines, though I personally prefer and use Webers. Either can be set up to work in any application as there's a huge range of jets/adjustment in both makes.. both are very good carbs.

If buying second hand, get a matched pair (check or ask for the serial numbers on them). Some carbs of old Alfa Romeo's can be tricky to set up (the numbers will identify them) compaired with the more universal type. The carbs should come with jets and chokes in them, and some ram pipes. You maybe lucky and be able to use some of the parts (the chokes are the expensive bits) but the scope for adjustment is big enough to be able to get a good working combination.

You'll also need a throttle linkage (use a genuine Weber/Dellorto item), fuel pump (Facet) and regulator/filter assembly (Filter king). A fitting kit will also be needed, 4x Misab plates & mounting rubbers & cups.

3. no1tosh New Member

thank you very much mate your a star
    tosh