Which Tyres?

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by ham&cheese, Aug 21, 2008.

1. ham&cheese Forum Member

Following on from my previous "Which Brakes?" Question, I'd like to ask; Which Tyres?

I've just found out that the inside of both my front tyres are bold (caused by an issue I'll leave for another day), so I need to source some new front tyres, quick.

I'm on a budget but need something decent and grippy in wet weather. I've pretty much narrowed it down to these;

Kumho KU31 Ecsta Sport (205/50/R15)
    Toyo T1R Proxes (205/50/R15)

Both are just under 50 a corner, but am not sure which to get. I'm not going to be driving like a tit but don't want to end up in a ditch either...

Thanks in advance!

2. N/B

N/B Forum Member

You can never read too many tyre reviews on t'internet.
    Consider throwing Falken into the mix too ;)

3. HacKage Forum Member

what size rims have you got?like what width, as 195/50/15 T1Rs are only 33ish delivered from Camskill iirc.

A few mates have got them on their Hondas, swear by them, so thats what I'm gonna go for next.Seem to be a brilliant grippy tyre for not a lot of cash, just a few more than budgets

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

195/50 is much better VFM than 205/50

5. ham&cheese Forum Member

Rims are standard Mk3 GTI items. 6.5J I think?

Have looked into 195's but prefer the beefier 205's tbh.

Flalkens are a bit too dear for me at the moment.

Matt82: You mentioned he Kumho's, are they any good during winter?

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  6. HacKage Forum Member

if the rims are 6.5, then 195 are the perfect size, 205s will give a mushroom look and while they look "beefier" they actually wont perform as well as a 195 as the tyre is a wee bit too big.
    I dunno, if you want the 205's then we cant really do anything lol, but the 195s i'd say are the proper size for that wheel, will perform better, and are cheaper

7. benthejettaman Forum Member

out of all those mentioned i would use the toyos as they would give the best grip by far (both in the wet and dry

kuhnos are gd for wear but wouldnt give u the same level of grip as the toyos, but would give u better life expectancy

also i would definatly stick with the 205/50 rather than opt for 195/50 as the 195 would unbalnce the car slightly also look rubbish if not slammed on the deck

ps i would never go smaller than the standard size as this would upset the handling of the car

8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

they seem to be very good in the wet, not far from eagle f1 performance it seems.

f1s are basically the best you can get off the shelf but they usually cost a lot. of you can get them for a decent price, get the f1s (50-55 each)

you will not be disappointed wiht the kumhos, if you can get them for a bargain price youll be even happier!

9. ham&cheese Forum Member

Cool. Think I'll go for the Kumhos in 205/50 form. Thanks people!

10. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 195/50 R15 82V BSW 43.80 each delivered from mytyres.co.uk (fitting extra).

Cracking tyre imo :thumbup: I bought a set from them in 2006 when they were 34 each.

They don't feel as though they've gone off like many other tyres do after a year or two.

11. ham&cheese Forum Member

Went for the Toyos in 205/50 size - About 97 for 2, so not complaining considering I used to pay about that for my old 195/45/R15s on my old car. Free P&P too!

Lol. Don't think I've ever had the same set of tyres that long! I'll be running these for as long as possible though

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  12. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

Have run eagle f1's previously and will be going back as soon as the toyo's on the valver let go, cant recomend them heighly enough :thumbup:

sts in banbury quoted me 55quid + some pennies all inclusive per tyre for a 195/50/15 + they have a 25% off special offer at the moment [:D] - they have a few fitting stations but I never really checked how many so they might be worth a google to see if you have a local.

13. barny Forum Member

Iwas hunting around for the 195/45 and was surprised to see Toyos Proxes 4Rf's at 36 on ebay - Bargain!