Whining gearbox on Golf MK4

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Likvid, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Likvid New Member

I have some problems with my gearbox, it happened something to my reverse gear a few years back and it still works and makes a rattle noise.

However the last two weeks the 5th gear started to whine more and more and has stabilized in it's whining now, but the 4th and 3rd gear also got a soft whining sound now.

The 1st and 2nd gear doesn't sound anything from.

First i thought it was lack of oil in the gearbox as the sound went down in the gears so i went to my VAG service garage to let them check the oil level.

The guy at the garage checked the oil and said it was full with oil which made me surprised as i thought it ran low on oil.

The guy also told me to just run the gearbox until it breaks up and buy a refurbished one later on when it happens as it would better than trying to diagnose and repair it.

Anyway, anyone know why 3rd and 4th and 5th gear whines and not 1st and 2nd?

Anyone had the same problem?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  2. Seraph Banned

not heard of this commonly, as opposed to selection problems on 1 & 2nd.

how many miles you clocked up?

oak8v or crispy8v might no more...

3. Likvid New Member

About 87000 miles, the gearbox got code DLP

4. Likvid New Member

I have diagnosed the problem more today.

The gearbox starts to whine when i go above about 40mph and when i release the clutch the whining continues, if i put the gearbox in neutral position when going above 40mph it still whines.

Could it be the final gear bearing?