whining gearbox - on its way out?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by timbutjack, Feb 22, 2007.

1. timbutjack Forum Member

i got back earlier and got out the car with it in neutral, walked round and could hear a slight whine coming for the f/n/s wheel arch. i popped the bonnet to see if it was anything obvious and coulnt see anything, i recon its coming from the box but not sure

i didnt notice this noise when actually driving the car but ill take it for a drive in the morning to check (maybe it only does it in neutral). also engine braking is pretty harsh in 1st gear, alot worse than my mates car (the same car) could this be anything to do with it. i read somwhere on here it could be the diff. but not sure if both the problems are related.

so is it likely to be the box or could it be anything else maybe starter motor?

oh, on a 1990 1.6 driver

thanks in advance ;)

2. misteralz Forum Member

Does the whining stop when the clutch is depressed? If so, then it's probably the input shaft bearing...

3. timbutjack Forum Member

no, it just keeps whining

i started it up this morning after being left overnight and it seemed ok, so either it only does it when its warmed up or it was just somthing else

4. luminosa Forum Member

have you tried what trev said jack?

drain the gearbox and put some really thick stuff in EP80 is'nt it?

5. timbutjack Forum Member

yeah, im gunna do this on sunday. i was hoping it fixed it self but took it out earlier and once its warm it still makes the same noise