Whinning?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Allens vw, May 23, 2007.

1. Allens vw New Member

First time vw owner needs a little help please, a whinning noise like the sound of transmision noise that comes through from amped car stereos speakers that need a suppressor,(hope u what i mean)its only started in the last 2 weeks,i have noticed on a few accasions the gear box;) goes stiff and have to fight with it then its 100% ok but the whinning noise is only there in 3rd 4th and 5th,it might be no big deal? its the first 1.4 ive had i never have any thing under a 2l and i know small engined cars are nown to be a bit whinney from transmission? its a lovery car has had a lot of money from last owner spent on it,a tastfull head turner, the stainless exhaurst makes the sound hard for the garage bloke to hear it as he took it for a run to day but i know its there. Hes looking at gear box oil next week as a start i do hope this is something simple as i havent got 500 to spend on it! any help would be greatfull.Allen.

2. mk28vICED Forum Member

what car?????
    it could be the thrust bearing on the end of the gearbox giving up the ghost.

3. Allens vw New Member

1.4 mrk 3,cheers m8.