whisky tango alpha - life in the ol' girl yet

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by bones, Jun 15, 2009.

1. bones

bones Paid Member Paid Member

I bought this a few months ago basically as in intended doner, but you know how these things get..........

1987 Jetta GTI 16v. 130k and 2 days tax!

550 unseen on Ebay (as you do)

After driving doen to Sussex from Derby in my girlfriends Pug 106 diesel (non-turbo), I paid the man Dan. As it would seem, buying unseen from the other side of the country is sometimes (and I mean mostly always) not a good idea. 2 miles down the road and the alternater belt went. A couple of hours later of some RAC-ness and we are on the way back home......... for 20 minutes until we hit a traffic jam. Awesome! What folowed next was 6 miles and 3 hours of desperately needing to pee. Absolutely solid traffic going nowhere really. Id even got a Ribena carton open and was trying to figure out how to drive very slowly and, well- you know. Arriving home at 2330 and my girlfriend was not too chuffed.

Id already bought a Jetta GT Special and needed some interior parts for the restoration, plus I had at the time a bare Jetta Coupe shell - which was later sold to help me go to my mates wedding in OZ. There were also a couple of useful parts for my Syncro project

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The original interior (not my car though- so Im on the lookout)

[​IMG]

The interior was removed and replaced with a later GL interior and a few running issues were ironed out. The car was lowered on Eibach spring and a mix of Wietech Spax shocks. Bonrath poly topmounts helped prevent the **** heavy look and Ive yet to fit the Powerflex'ed wishbones and, rear axle bushes. Ive also got to get the Missing Linkz gearlinkage, Powerflex exhaust and a few other repairs done.

This is the first time Ive had the chance to get it tidy, and I was pleased enough to rob the Calmasters from my Syncro project (their first outing), and go to DC09. Needless to say, to get my girlfriend to spend quite some time helping me clean it, is far from what I expected after their first roadtrip!

Like all old gals, theres a best side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ive also bought an '88 16v interior for a 450 mile round trip (also looking for manual doorcards for this- yes I like to do it manually)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  2. jettadan Forum Member

Glad you saved it, looked too good to break:thumbup:

3. bones

its been good to get back behind the wheel of a Mk2!

4. jettadan Forum Member

I still miss my MK2 Jetta - probably the best all round car i've had.

It was Alpine white too[:D]

5. bones

it looks like you have a few toys still!

6. theboymike Forum Junkie

Liking this - very understated :thumbup:

7. bones

thanks mike!

Its been many years since I last had a car on a club stand, so it was off to Inters on the sunday to join the Jetta Owners Club. A great welcome and a good bunch of people
    Id also managed to overcome the years of plastic neglect and got the trim nice and black

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its been 4 years since I last went to Inters, and it seemed a bit quieter than last time.........

8. faithless

faithless CGTI Regional Host

looking good, man them wheels a sweet, i want them!!!

9. bones

but your car is shiney enough already ; )

and wont my syncro look odd with no wheels?.......and it will be slow too!

10. faithless

faithless CGTI Regional Host

yeah but more shine is good and i always thought the breeze block look was good :lol: :lol:

11. bones

you best be ready for people asking to trade cinder for your porkers!

Heres a close-up to tease you further

[​IMG]

12. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

please tell me where you got those wheels!!
    how much and if your selling them!

amazing.

13. Genome

Genome Forum Member

Ah Calmaster's. So unbelievably mint, but so unbelievably unattainable. Kudos to you sir! :clap:

14. bones

I got them from Austria. I am very very unlikely to sell them and they are also obsolete. There are two versions, and brookster on here has the other type with the fake bolts. He bought them from post on here many moons ago. The Country Chrome initially came with the 15" le castellettes (spelling prob wrong). Ive had them for quite a while but until i put the jetta on the road, they were just sat on my syncro project. I have also seen a red golf wearing these wheels and of course theres the few Country Chromes scattered about the UK and Ireland. The Jetta is just a bit of fun while I sort the other two projects out, especially as I can rob parts from them for a while

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  15. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

I love the look of tht jetta! I always thought the big bumper ones were better but you sir have changed my mind plus its in white!!

16. bones

well, thats one hell of a compliment- thankyou!

Ive just got it booked in a Stealth for a RR tune and WUR mod for later this month. Its a bit lean at the mo

17. bones

well....... Ive been to Stealth today and the Jetta has been set up + the WUR mod. It was a bit lean on the fuelling and the timing had already been advanced in the past. The figures are dissapointing and acheived on 95ron, as I already had 143 bhp and 125 ft/lbs and I only ended up with 146 bhp and 128 ft/lbs. Still.... its more than factory and what I have has been optimised. Apparently the engine seems a bit tight. All I know about the history is that it was owned by an old fella for many years and then an Audi tech, then the guy I bought it from. Maybe it just needs a regular thrashing!

[​IMG]

18. bones

the time is nigh for the current look as i have new wheels sat here, a new engine coming, and g60 front brakes + a few odds and sods too

ED38 was the last show ill be going to with the calmasters- tis a shame but its about time they went back to their proper home

19. bones

ok, so ive been shopping....
    I have some new wheels
    [​IMG]
    a new engine- an 110k GTI Engineering RE1900 16v and Ive also bought a Kstar KS3 unit that will allow me to have a custom fuel + ignition map (provided it works as these early ones can be a pain)

20. jettadan Forum Member

[8D]

Pics asap with those fitted!