white/grey smoke

Discussion in '8-valve' started by sjm66, Feb 11, 2009.

1. sjm66 Forum Member

Driving home yesturday I lost power managed to make it home but was putting out plenty of white/grey smoke.... great.. all I need. Its an EV with a DMTL weber which I've recently re-built hence the frustration.

Anyhow checked the oil and although there was a bit of smeg on the stick the oil below was clean.... less the 1000 hrs on it. No loss of water and no sign of oil or bubbles in the expansion tank. Whipped out the plugs, all nice and even brown and did a compression test (1) 10.8 (2) 10.9 (3) 10.8 (4) 11..... these are dry readings taken in the normal way.
    Good figures as far as I'm concerned and they should be as the cylinders have recently been honed and new rings fitted.

Have since pulled the head but the gasket 'looked' in good order. No obvious blow past and no water in the cylinders. Have checked the valve seals for damage and they look ok.... these have just been replaced with Gen Vw recently.

Whats next ? Fuel ? The weber is new less than 1000 miles ago.... has a diapham gone ? the fuel pump is an engine driven type new too. Got a pair of inline filters which are clear.

ignition ?

Some advice please before I rip out my hair..... or whats left of it

Steve

2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Maybe you had an attack of carb icing, and the white smoke was melted ice and condensed water going through your engine?

What airbox/air-filter arrangement have you got?

3. sjm66 Forum Member

Its a K&N flat top style filter, living in Norway I'm quite used to carb icing and to tell you the truth thats what I thought it was to start with but I've had it running this morning before I took the heda off and its just as bad.
    Gonna have the head minimum skimmed tomorrow to completly rule out any warping and build her back up then I guess it'll be a case of eliminating things as I go along.

I gather under fueling can produce white smoke true or false ?

Steve