Who cab refurb a 020 in N.West?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by GOLFMAD, Sep 9, 2007.

1. GOLFMAD New Member

I have a spare 020 in the garage off a '86 1.8 GTi Golf that I'm considering getting refurbed and putting into my '91 Driver. It was in good working order when it came out of the donor car which had covered around 90k.

Anyone know an engineering firm near Manchester that can professionally refurb the 'box. OR, anyone want to make me an offer for it as it is???

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

Why bother with the refurb... if you know it's good, just put it on. The driver won't have the power to hurt it. New oil will make it even better too

3. GOLFMAD New Member

I'm sure the spare box is OK but i'd like to know what a refurb costs before going to the trouble of finding it's knackered the hard way.

The Driver isn't standard - at all!!

4. Mr. Shhh Forum Member

I got mine done recently, it cost 320. If you want to know who I went to look under 'Quality retailers and suppliers' for my post. I won't repeat the ****storm I wrote here, but suffice to say they were useless.

If I were to need another one, I'd ask Hotgolf, who has a great reputation on the forum. I'm sure he will quote you his price if you ask him.

I got a couple of other quotes, both around the 600 mark. Unfortunately there aren't many companies around that do this kind of work, at least that's what I found.

5. GOLFMAD New Member

Thanks....I'll see if anyone else steps forward....

6. miggs2002 Forum Member

i have just got my 020 2Y refurb'd it cost me 700 but for that i got all brand new internals (vag) and blasted and painted casing, 12 months warranty and most importantly the weak diff bolts replaced with the vw supplied stroner versions, this was with General Traffic in chorley, took 3 days one for pick up one for fixing and one to drop it off!

7. GOLFMAD New Member

Wow, sounds like you have a fantastic box! Can't justify that kind of money given the one in the car is currently OK. I'll probably move this to the 'Parts for Sale' section.

Cheers all :clap:

8. Biggspuds

Biggspuds Forum Member

Black daimond in warrington are superb! they recon'd a renault 19 16v box for me pretty cheap a few year back, didnt cost the earth and give me a 12 month wrranty too!

Guardian St Ind Est
    Guardian St, Warrington, WA5 1SJ
    01925 416619