Who has a high mileage 1.8t???

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by carl325, Jan 29, 2017.

1. carl325 New Member

Hi all,
    I've recently purchased a 2003 1.8t 180bhp auq, with 146,000 miles on the clock. It drives very well apart from a heavy clutch.
    How many more of you mk4 owners have a 1.8t with high miles and how how high is it?!
    Post up your miles and any major issues you've had.
    Cheers

2. ianb2003 New Member

Hi Carl,
    I'm confident you can look forward to a good few miles in your Anniversary yet, I've had mine since new and it sits proudly on 295k miles with the original clutch and head gasket. I've tried to maintain it reasonably and still enjoy driving it.
    Problems have been; rocker cover Gasket, rear wash/wipe motor, antenna base leaking/split, front wiper mechanism, worn track rods, mileage related suspension replacement.
    I'd advise using oem CV joints and boots, cheaper ones just aren't worth the hassle of redoing it in a few months. Brymbo pads in the standard calipers with Brymbo stud sized discs are good, not the ultimate set up but it works.

Cheers, ian

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I have found @146k miles:
    Power steering line started leaking at the rack. Banjo fittings were required.
    Cluster FIS needs repair.
    Cooling fan fuse holder atop battery corroded away.
    Rear lambda sensor replacement.
    Suspension was a bit saggy.
    Inside door handle cable frayed to excess and broke off.
    Rear ashtray covers broke off.
    Glove box door lock broken and repaired (see link)
    Replaced front discs twice in 110K miles
    Wheel caps just renewed.

4. carl325 New Member

Thanks for the replies chaps.
    295k is a colossal mileage! I've had my clutch/dual mass flywheel and the master cylinder and slave cylinder replaced this week, along with new rocker cover baskets, and new oil filler cap and a new rear caliper 1100 spent! Just the cambelt/waterpump and auxiliary belt next, then the Mot in April.