Why a MK2

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by DOGER1, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Collie Forum Junkie

2. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Is she mad?

3. Gary_B

Gary_B Forum Member

Very Nice :) Thanks for the info :thumbup:

4. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

no depreciation.

5. Elf458 Forum Member

this man knows

6. Elf458 Forum Member

scap the alfa idea. break the mk4 shell and put the engine in your mk2! make it live another 10-20 years!! thats what the mk4 was made to be used for!! then buy your missus a tidy mk3 TDI for all of the cost of a peanut, and i think they run on the essence of peanuts aswel lol

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  7. Elf458 Forum Member

i recon there is a path that most blokes seem to follow...that starts at childhood with lego, mechano, scalectrix e.t.c. and that interest never dies out...just progresses
    in my case. lego, scalectrix -> go karts -> minis -> (briefly) fast ford -> dubs.
    they dont just take you from A->B nor are they a statement...they are a hobby, a toy and a necessity to stay who we are.
    altho i do not know of a progression from a mk2 that isnt a completely different price bracket.

apart from that id be repeating what everyone else has said (cos if you've owned a mk2, you cant disagree with them)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  8. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

Mk2 golf gti......a car that will not have a nose turned up at it from a posh hotels valet parkers nose nor from the young kids down at a car show/meet.......you cant say that about many other cars especially when you throw the extremly cheap maintenance costs into the equation.....can you??

9. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

A Mk2 gets you from A to B when you want to. It just makes the "to" the good bit.

10. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

yep!

for me it was

-sonic and micromachines for sega mega drive!
    -lego
    -kinex! ftw
    -r/c cars building and tuning
    -dubbbs

end of! lol

11. Benjo Forum Member

Never a truer word has been spoken :thumbup:

When I was at uni, an 81yr old lady pulled out infront of me at a roundabout whilst I was in my mk2, with the resulting impact completely stoving in the side of her brand new 307. All golfie needed was a new front bumper, grille & slam panel. Instead of doing the sensible thing & fixing it tho I put it in storage, took the insurance money & bought an old quattro turbo. Let's just say I should've just put golfie back together...! 5yrs, a couple more mk2s, mk3s, polos etc later & i'm halfway through rebuilding the golf (with lots of mk4 stuff), & cannot begin to express how much I'm looking forward to driving it again. Vivre La Mk2 - possibly the most awesome car ever?!

12. yamz89 Forum Member

MK2 GTi's, one of my fave cars of all time, grew up in the back of my grandads driver (he bought it from new, he died 8 years ago and i use it as my daily even now, still no rust, uses no oil, no water etc) remembering that he always wanted one resulting in me being aspired all these years to get one, and finaly did as soon as i could afford one 2 months ago..

[​IMG]

Surely enough said?

Long life MK2's, god love em', you look after them, they will look after you!

Peace
    Marc

13. MMC

MMC New Member

Looks like a cracker of a MkII you've got there Marc :)

14. yamz89 Forum Member

Trust me, the feelings mutual!!

15. MMC

MMC New Member

Heck, you should see it at the moment though... Two weeks of back-lane commuting without a wash. It's practically cammo.

On the plus side, it now has new gear linkages, a weighted shift rod, an oil and filter change and a tune up from the nice men at Pitstop in Brize Norton. Running better than ever. :thumbup:

16. IanH Forum Member

Because mk2's still make me smile, and make me want to drive further than I am supposed to be almost 6 years on from driving my first :)

Ian...

17. yamz89 Forum Member

i got the weight rod on mine, better aint it?!

yours a digi? what did the tune up consist of pal?

18. MMC

MMC New Member

Makes a hell of a difference to the shift.

Yup - mine's a Digi. Tune up was pretty simple - clean out the throttle body, re-set the timing, new plugs (the old ones looked like they'd come out of a WWII submarine) and a couple of other odds and sods I've forgotten. Amazing difference - smoother throttle response (not as binary as before), mpg's up too.

19. nhoj62

nhoj62 Forum Member

why a mk2
    well it is a love hate thing really
    some things on it are easy to work like the brakes, nice a simple and easy
    some thing are horrific take the inlet manifold on the carb cars, what idiot thought it would be a good idea to put the bolts on the underside of it?
    still for a 21 year old car it does very well and i love it because of that.

cheers
    john

20. yamz89 Forum Member

bet your annoying all the folk in there diesel excutive saloons :thumbup: