Why are 1.3 engines so rare

Discussion in '8-valve' started by luke w, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Dave J Forum Member

Cleanspares in Plymouth were given a 1.3 mk2 about 2 weeks ago. Dunno if they will still have it, but its worth a sniff. One of the women i work with (who knows i am into VW's-I have broken a couple for spares before) said her husband drove their E reg down there...It still had a few months MOT on it!!! I was not happy, especially as i could have done with a cheap runaround last week. [:x] If you need any help PM me. :p

2. Mikey Forum Member

Off the VW Motoring website:-

For Sale: Mk.3 Polo GT engines and gearbox (Also other parts)
    - 07939 348618 - Yorks

I think it'll be a 1.3 won't it?

3. Websnowbo Forum Member

I cant answer that until i get home, i know it had a new headgasket, rings and other gaskets just before i bought the car. Pulled it out of a Mk1 Driver, i still have the clocks so i can give you the mileage when i get home.

4. Jeff Forum Junkie

if youre doing 200 miles, then presuming its on the motorway, i think you might find that a 1.3 is LESS economical than a 1.8 at motorway speeds.

what revs would your 1.3 be doing at 70-80mph? I bet its close to flat out. Not very econmical. Whereas a 1.6/1.8 would be lower down the rev range (assuming it came with gearbox) and using less fuel.

my 1.8 carb scirocco used to do 40mpg all the time on the motorway (not the one in my sig). whats your 1.3 do/did?

5. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

Hmm, its a fair presumption i guess, but you are actually quite wrong. The 1.3 with the eco 5th gear will be doing around 4k at 80, and even a boggo 4spd will be around 4500, so not really flat out. The former will return about 45-48 mpg at a steady 65, and both will do a ton. Although i agree a 1.6/1.8 would be a lot more fun, probably make it as quick as an 8v mk2 gti.

6. Unknown Forum Junkie

trouble is you dont get a 5speeder in the mk1 chassis so you have to make mounts.
    I run a 1.3 and a 2.0 mk2 (with the same gearing in 5th) and the 2.0 work out a bit cheaper on the motorway, and not much worse than the 1.3 around town. Both give good mileage though so not really a worry.

7. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

I have a Mk2 with a 1.8 carb engine and I know how economical they are. Its not really motorway driving, its all single lane A roads so I normally average 55-60 mph. The main reason I'm going after the 1.3 is that I'm looking at a conviction for excessive speeding, so insurance is going up in a couple of months. Not only that, I'm not looking to spend any more than 300 to get it back on the road, as I've just started an apprentice course, and with minimal amount of work. Ideally I'd love to be able to sort both my cars out, but the Mk2 is going to recieve most of my income, the Mk1 will be treated to a better make over in a couple of years, when my insurance has gone down and the wages have gone up.

8. Quicksilver New Member

I have a 1.3 from a mk1 driver in my garage, you can have it for free if you want it, although it does need some attention. The gearbox is the biggest problem on it, not sure of the exact problem but the clutch cable snapped and now it wont go back into gear. The engine ran no probs tho, its a complete mess of gak from 20 odd years of british weather but it runs absolutley fine. 128k miles i believe. Needs a good clean and a 'box id say.

9. pimpdriver Forum Member

item 2490633694 on ebay

10. VeeDubbed.co.uk Forum Member

Put in a MK2 Golf 1.3 Engine,
    Polo GT 5 Gearbox, Exauhst Dowpipe and manifold.

My Bro had the same problem with getting a mk1 engine for his mk1, just put in a mk2 one and it's ran sweet ever since.

and it's pretty nippy for a 1.3
    Edited by: VeeDubbed.co.uk

11. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

I've found a polo coupe S for 50 because it has failed the MOT on a couple of things, none of which are to do with the engine. The carb however does play up sometimes, the bloke said, but it is still drivable. I was wondering whether the carb on my knacked 1.3 will fit straight onto that engine, or the whole inlet manifold with the carb. Should be easy to fit because it is a carb and has a 4 speed box, so no extra mounts need to be made up. Speaking of mounts, will the engine slot into the Mk1 mounts, or do I have to weld the mounts from the polo into the Mk1 engine bay.

12. Unknown Forum Junkie

swap the whole maniold, I did the same in my mk1 driver with a coupe S engine. Mounts will be fine, just use the ones you unbolt from the mk1 engine and it'll be fitted in no time. [:D]

13. Unknown Forum Junkie

actually I think I lied.... I fitteed the twinchoke from the polo. forget the numbers but it's been fine. I had a good spare carb too but I gave it to a mate, if he hasnt used it then you can have it.

I bet you that a decent setup will cure the carb

14. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

I'm going up to seeit on saturday, he assures me that it runs fine and has "around" 100,000 miles on the clock, which will probably end up nearer 150,000 miles. How long do these engines go on for, if it turns out that it has 130,000 miles for example, will it still be be worth fitting it. My 1.3 in my Mk2 lasted to 187,000 miles before it eventually went, but was told that it is unusual for one to last that long.

15. Unknown Forum Junkie

the one i fitted in my mk1 had 130k odd, then i fitted it to annother car and its done 20k since then, though I had the head off but that was just for an oil leak which was ruining my driveway, but it had a minor re-furb at the same time. Still held its own 5 up at 80mph on the M20.
    If looked after they can go on and on, I know of a g40 with 150k and without the charger being rebuilt. [8-}]
    Check it over well of course.

16. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

My brother is coming with me, he's a qualified mechanic so will give it a good check over, even though its only up for 50. Are the coupe S engines any more powerful than a standard 1.3, or still 55bhp? Don't mind, its only to get me from A to B for the moment, just wondering.

17. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

I finally got a 1.3 engine for my Mk1! The polo turned out to be a good car. Had to drive it just over 100miles to get it home and it didn't miss a beat. It had been stood for six weeks, but started straight away and settled to a steady idle. There was no smoke, no ticking, sounded nice and quite. Took it for a quick spin and it drive lovely, even pulled away from stand still in 3rd, not used to the 4 speed boxes. Tomorrow I'm going to get get both engines ready to be taken out, my brother is borrowing an engine crane from work on Monday, so in theory the Mk1 should be up and running by this time next week. Still a few little things to get sorted before it can be MOT'd, like new headlights and indicators, both pinched for various other golfs to get them through various MOTs. Other than that, a quick clean up and it will be ready for the roads.