Why are BMW's so complicated? Maybe other brands are as well..

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by costel1969, Aug 30, 2023.

1. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

I am so sorry Costel that I appear to have misunderstood, and gone off thread.
    But, your title refers to complications, and other members posts reflect the problems of chasing electronic faults.
    They also refer to the costs of replacing complicated electronic equipment.

So, I Was only trying to explain why we have ended up with all of the electronic complications.
    These extras add to all of the bits, all over the engine and engine bay, that need removing to do simple jobs.

As to your point regarding having to remove lots of other parts, to do a simple job, well I also hate this.

I remember that, when changing a headlight bulb, on a Mk3 VR6, quite a bit of stuff had to be removed.
    It's even worse on the MK4 25J as you have to remove even more. At the same time the crap plastic they use breaks. Both Elaine's 25J headlight housings are held together plastic adhesive and adhesive tape. Mind you, what do you expect when VW use Valeo headlights!? I bet either Bosch or Hella would have produced units made from better plastic!

If you wish, I shall stop posting on your thread, and start another thread on the subject of why electronic systems have taken over.

Regards,
    Dave.

2. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Work away Dave, no copyright issues on this thread.

3. Dave

Thank you me' lovely laddo.
    We must meet the next time you are in Eire.

4. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

These are my coils, a bit more straightforward :lol:
    IMG_0334.jpeg

costel1969 likes this.
  5. costel1969

Oh, and let's not forget that if you need to change the sump gasket on an E82 (and you will at some stage), you have the drop the subframe....
    Dropping a subframe for a sump gasket replacement is beyond incomprehensible.

PhilRyder likes this.
  6. PhilRyder

Yep, would have to do that on mine and…. There are two sump gaskets!!

7. costel1969

Lawless!

8. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

Car makers don't like DIY mechanics. Hence making a lot of simple driveway jobs nigh on impossible without removing half the car or special tools.

Thank god for youtube where someone kindly posted a vid on how to tell a 2017 BMW that I had been kind enough to replace the rear pads and remove the warning message. The sequence was akin to the hokey cokey.

That's why a lot of people just hand thier wallets to the dealers these days.

costel1969 and GVK like this.
  9. Dave

Phil. What is the car?
    I believe it is an E20, but don't recognise the motor.
    BTW. Does the rear coil pack come out without removing the loom?
    Regards,
    Dave.

10. PhilRyder

It is a 1975 1602 with a later M42 engine from an E30 318is. I’ve literally got it back today from a 7 month engine rebuild. Yep, 7 months!!!
    Yes all the coil packs come out without removing the loom, just unplug them.
    IMG_1504.jpeg

costel1969 likes this.
  11. PhilRyder

12. Dave

Neat!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2024
    PhilRyder likes this.
  13. watercooled Forum Member

Wow that's a great fit in that early car , many say the 318is was the pick of the 4cyl motors of that era as they made similar power to the 2 litre 6 cylinder and they were very reliable .
    Only issue is the "in head 'coil packs which don't last long , my E39 ate them up until they all failed ,a known issue ,I contacted an independant parts guy I knew and he said he won't stock the original Bremi ones anymore , I went to Topran ones as he said he had never had an issue with them over many years of sales.
    BMW did there usual side step on warranty on these like they did with early Vano's failures , then there were the oil separator's plastic waterpipes and O2 sensors ... I could go on for ever as my car had all these issues and was the last BMW I would ever own , IMO the era the E39 and e36 were the start of a downward slide of reliability and home mechanical work as mentioned .
    I moved onto Audi's after that but not saying they are easier to work on but they are reliable ,had a 2003 A4 1.8t ,2005 A4 TDI 3.0 and my current 2007 Allroad 3.0 TDI A6 ,no more than regular services ,batteries and tyres and little more .
    Cheers.

PhilRyder likes this.
  14. costel1969

On a positive note, the 128 has been awoken from its winter slumber. I had removed the battery over the winter and put it on a trickle charge. I popped it in last night and cranked her up, and it started like a champ with no error codes - perhaps our relationship has begun to turn a corner? I also got an oil and filter change done - didn't even need to jack it up as its still on dolley wheels and will remain so until the bloody snow has buggered off.

Mind you and with full transparency, after carrying out all of the the following the b@stard would want to start:
    Replaced 2 x Front Shock Absorbers.
    Replaced 2 x Front Top Mounts and Gaskets.
    Replaced 2 x Front Bump Stops.
    Replaced 2 x Front Stabilizer Links.
    Replaced Auxiliary Serpentine Belt.
    Replaced Oil Filter Housing Gasket.
    Replaced Air Filter.
    Replaced Cabin Filter.
    Replaced 6 x Spark Plugs.
    Replaced 6 x Ignition Coils.
    Replaced Front Brake Discs/Rotors.
    Replaced Front Brake Pads.
    Replaced Rear Brake Pads.
    Replaced Rear Shock Absorbers.
    Flushed Rear Diff. Fluid.
    Flushed Power Steering Fluid.
    Flushed Brake Fluid.
    Replaced High-Level Brake Light.
    Replaced VVT Actuator
    Replaced VVT Actuator Seal
    Replaced Eccentric Shaft Sensor Seal
    Cleaned 2 x Vanos Solenoids
    Cleaned 2 x Vanos Non-Return Valves

Last edited: Mar 19, 2024
    GVK and PhilRyder like this.
  15. PhilRyder

That’s useful info thank you :thumbup:
    Yes, the M42 is the preferred choice for the 02 to the point where these engines are very difficult to come by now. Originally, I believe, 137hp. They are notoriously difficult to extract more power from. Mine is chipped and had 147hp on the RR. It now has fast road cams which should do for another 10hp. Once I fit an aftermarket ECU and have it properly tuned I’m hoping for circa 170hp. Even a race prepped and tuned M42 will only be good for 200hp. You have to do supercharger or turbo if you want more but it is only 1.8l. It’s a high revving engine and doesn’t get going until 3.5k revs.

16. Dave

WATER INJ 3.png WATER INJ 2.png WATER INJ 1.png