why do 35mm f1.4s cost so much?

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by mark25, Oct 9, 2010.

1. mark25 Forum Junkie

2. theboymike Forum Junkie

It's because the shorter focal length requires the light to pass through the elements at a steeper angle, which in turn tends to refract / separate it more meaning more elements / more complex design is needed to prevent chromatic abberations (colour fringing), softness, lack of contrast and other optical nasties.

Lenses are easiest to make at around the 50-85mm focal length - you'll notice that these are about the cheapest for a given aperture (going wider or longer costs more) and also where the largest apertures are found...

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  3. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

plus a 50mm lens is decent but in many situations I find I need to stand further away and I can't so a 35mm is more desirable so will also be priced up a bit

4. richwig83 Forum Member

5. mark25 Forum Junkie

Sounds logical, but the prices don't rise proportionally as you move to 24mm, they're only a bit more, where as the % step from 24 - 35 is about the same as 35 - 50....[:s]

6. mark25 Forum Junkie

As i understand it, (from Ken) the 340 quid Nikon 50mm is as good as it gets quality wise.

7. mintcustard New Member

Canon L series lenses are far superior quality lenses from my experience, I highly recommend them.

You get what you pay for!

Hope this helps