Why does my tweeter sound like sh*t?

Discussion in 'ICE' started by Jolfa, May 19, 2008.

1. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

Since having all my stereo stuff stolen, I now just run a sub, 2 mids and 2 tweeters off an amp.

The front right tweeter sounded like crap (was trying to be a sub), probably due to there being no rubber left on it, so I changed it for a JBL item, with a bass blocker thing on it, and it's even worse!

Why does just that one speaker sound so bad?! The rest of them sound fine, even the still factory tweeter on the left? [:[]

2. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

is it working from its own channel on the amp? maybe try swapping it, check the polarity, have you got the filter the right way round?

3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

does the amp itself have a cross over? hi pass or low pass filters etc?

running a fair bit of bass through a tweeter may have killed it.

4. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

I hope that your tweeters are run through either the high pass filter on your amp or through a passive crossover near the tweeters. Sure you haven't got the mid and tweet wiring mixed up?

Gurds

5. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

Theres one mid, and one tweeter per channel, and the sub is bridged across the 2

The other 3 speakers and the sub are all fine, it's just this one tweeter [:s]

I tested 2 other speakers while I was changing the one in question, and they all sounded cack...