Why is no one interested in my son's ED30?

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by Dave, Jun 6, 2023.

1. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Please tell Richard.
    Bought Ben a Ross-Tech VAGCOM from ilexa. He should receive it today.
    Funny thing regarding the battery!
    Two days before we were due to fly to the UK the battery went flat on Elaine's 25J. Don't know why as it is just a fews years old Bosch (Could not get a VARTA). I only fitted it because I was worried that the old battery might let her down.
    Attempted to open the bonnet and the release handle came adrift. The stupidly tiny screw had pulled out of the back.
    Have you ever tried to get the lower A pillar panel off? In the Bentley manual it is all LHD, and the panel just appears to pop-off. On the RHD there is a difficult to find, and then remove, plastic headed push-nut with a shallow slot. Trying to keep the flat screwdriver blade in the slot is flipping hard work! Then you have to remove the accelerator pedal stop. A 19mm hex socket works, a bi-hex just spins around.
    So. Managed to pull the cable and the bonnet popped up to the secondary safety catch, but the release pull did not pop out. It was solid! Using a screwdriver I managed to move the very stiff secondary catch over. Turns out the mechanism was rusted tight. Which was upsetting because I had previously stripped, cleaned and greased the mechanism with Maxol spray grease. This time I have used Normfest Off-Shore blue ceramic grease.
    I refitted the old battery, which I had kept fully charged and everything was OK
    I put the newer flat battery on trickle charge and, 24 hrs later, it was charged enough, but not 100%. Off to the airport with the Bosch in a plastic box in the boot together with jump-leads, multi-meter and tools.
    When we returned it started fine. The old battery is still on as it has taken 3 days to fully charge the Bosch.

How you get the plastic trim back on which the lever screwed in place I don't know!?
    I shall modify the lever retaining screw but not sure how as yet. Thinking about: 4mm helicoil + ss screw + blue Loctite?

IMG_2676.JPG IMG_2674.JPG IMG_2672.JPG

2. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

Long story short, guy came from Scotland on the plane to Yorkshire to buy, he was happy, paid up and drove off. 5 mins later he calls from the petrol station saying he filled up and it was leaking fuel. Went to meet him, jacked it up to have a look, it fell off the scissor jack which punched up the sill and bent the quarter panel in. Made a right mess. Gave him some money back and off he went

Dave likes this.