why no mk2 convertible?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by DC75, Mar 29, 2010.

1. DC75

DC75 Forum Member

does anybody know why VW didnt make a roofless mk2, the mk1 was a massive success and then they made mk3 and mk4 convertables, i have heard they made 2 prototypes but i cannot find any gumph on these, can anybody shed any light?

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

VW skinflinted their way round it by keeping the Mk1 Cabriolet going at the same time as the Mk2.

They basically did the same with the Mk4, by using a facelifted Mk3 with a Mk4 nose to do the same.

I'd be very suprised if they tried that trick again. The Mk5/6 cabrio doesn't exist, but the Eos appeared which is the same concept on the same floorpan, albeit a wider one.

3. Admin Guest

the mk2 would be really ugly, imagine that with the roof down.[xx(]

be like the A3 convertable. just look wrong

4. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

People have made them, and they look like ass, VW probably realised this and never made one [:p]

5. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

as chris said - they didn't even bother with a mk4 cab properly. The mk3 cab is actually nice I think, the dimensions are right.

A3 cab is rank isn't it!!

6. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

[​IMG]

This is why they didn't make one.:lol: Looks horrible!!! [xx(]

7. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

I thought it was because the mk2 already suffered leaking sunrooves, door membranes & heater matrixes (matrices) VW couldn't risk a leaky soft top too due the fact that the standard carpets weren't capable of soaking up any more water

8. mad4vw's New Member

mk2 convertible,uuhh that would look really ugly it's a good job they never ever decided to actual build one........:lol:

9. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

I'm suprised Jolfa hasn't thought of lopping the roof off one and having a go...

10. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

!

11. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And that's why VW or I have never built one!

12. DC75

DC75 Forum Member

^^ has answered my question, looks crap, no need to spoil a good thing.

13. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

looks ok with the roof down I think, roof up is fugly though

14. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Yeah it's something that could be way worse. The Mk1 with the updates is fine though.

15. Devon Dubber

Devon Dubber Forum Member

Yep... There were some companies who tried at the time when the 2 came out to do them, never took off, too expensive for what it was.

The MK1 ragtop was still selling really well too so if it ain't broke...

16. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Mk2 soft top would be horrible!

Mk4 soft top is really a mk3.5

A3 soft top is one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen! Infact the A5 soft top isn't a looker either.

17. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

I like the a5 convertible...

18. DC75

DC75 Forum Member

yes i have quite a soft spot for that soft top but the a3 looks odd.