Why use digi 1......

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by ryano, Jun 27, 2005.

1. ryano Forum Member

I am building the 2l16vT and was going to use the wiring loom out
    a 1.8 16v coraddo or the wiring loom out a seat toledo
    gti ( i think it is a 1.8 or 2.0 16v) but have been told i need
    to use a digi 1 system. Why is this ? I am going to use a megasquirt
    ecu so whats the advantage of using the digi1 system over the
    other two or can i just stick to using the other wiring looms?

cheers

ryan:)

<!--
    var SymRealOnLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    window.open = SymWinOpen;
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

SymOnLoad()
    {
    if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
    SymRealOnLoad();
    window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
    window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->

2. andysdad Forum Member

Soz,dont know.I just hate seeing posts not answered.

3. storming Forum Member

don't know too much about megasquirt but the digi 1 is from the g60 and rallye engines. it's equiped to run boost applications where as digi 2 (mk2 golf gti's and the like)are not. i'm going to be using digi 1 on my 8v turbo.

4. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Digi1`s ok if you like other people mapping your engine (most people can`t create a homebrew chip for digi1).

Megasquirt comes into it`s own if you like doing things like mapping yourself, it`s not easy but not rocket science. If you were to change the engine again (bigger injectors/turbo/cams etc) you can just re-map it yourself.

Digilag is a real pain, SNS seem to be the only people offering a good no-lag system.

It all depends what sort of work you want to put in, the stock MegaSquirt map sensor is 255kpa reads approx 1.5 bar boost, others can be fitted and calibrated easily (3 bar boost sensor seems the normal upgrade).

Plus MS offers AFR target tables which is a godsend [:D]

5. storming Forum Member

i'm happy to have he mapping done as it will only be done once. i am very curious about megasquirt though. what sort of money are we talking and how user fitting/friendly is it? is it a laptop job for mapping?

6. KeithMac Forum Junkie

$140 for a build it yourself kit, I was lazy and bought a pre-built kit in the UK for 200 [:$].

Mapping is a case of using the laptop, you can log runs and then use MSTweak3000 to work a map out for you, or use it to suggest figures to build into your own map (VE table).

If you`re getting someone else to do the mapping you need to make sure they will be comfortable using whatever ECU you choose first..

Megasquirt can also control Water injection/ Nitrous oxide/ staged injectors/ traction control, though MS`n`S extra firmware. Just a few clicks on the laptop..

7. SteveoM3 Forum Member

MS is a superb bit of kit for the cash.

You can now buy the mini MS's which come in a kit to builf from the states for about 50.00.

You can control accel enrichments and decel etc, and VE table is superb, you can even tune in real time.

We are running an MS atm with a car that we fitter an AFR to with a wideband for even easier tuning. Take it in turns to drive the car and tune on the duel carriageway, it's great!"

8. storming Forum Member

does sound tempting you know.