Why would my gearbox have a TSR serial number?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by mr.brown, Oct 20, 2012.

1. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

Long story short - the donor car for my mk1 Scirocco had a LOT of work done; TSR engine, K-Star, Autocavan brake bar etc etc. The gearbox was removed due to 5th gear issue and thrown in the boot when I bought the car. Fast forward 7 months and I've just checked the box and it's an ACD. Next to the code is an engraved "TSR" + serial number. Just interested to know if TSR would have done anything more than rebuild it?

2. Joesoap Forum Member

Could be just a rebuild, maybe changed the final drive (crown wheel and pinion) ...but it may have an LSD also ;)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  3. Mike_H Forum Addict

Bit of thread revival... I'd think at least it would have had the diff bolted rather than riveted, if it's a full rebuild. You *might* be able to tell if it's got an LSD by draining the oil out and shining a light in the drain hole. Don't think there's even enough room to get a bore scope in there, although I've got one if you want to have a look.

4. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

As mike said if you look in the drain hole you'll see right away if its got an LSD or rivets.

5. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers chaps. Hopefully I'll be able to investigate soon.

6. boraboy Forum Member

If it has a serial number that would suggest they took the time to document what was done to it.

Contact them with the serial number and ask what was done to it