Why would the crankbolt snap G60

Discussion in '8-valve' started by 2011golfgti, Dec 10, 2016.

1. 2011golfgti Paid Member Paid Member

I put a g60 into a mk2 golf I put in a new crank bolt and got the engine running but there was always a bearing noise coming from the bottom part of the engine, it was coming and going the noise, so I thought it was the water pump and the power steering pump so I changed the two of them and it made no difference so I thought it was the belt was too loose and today the crankshaft bolt snapped in two half's . what would cause that to happen?
    can someone please help me

2. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Do you think the bottom pulley has been loose? If so, there will be witness marks. I suspect some sort of side loading issue to cause a bolt that big to fail. Unlikely you would overtighten it, IMHO.
    It hasn't been tightened with the bottom pulley not correctly located? That would side load the bolt. If you have any doubts around this area its got to come fully to bits, its key to a reliable engine. I have seen a couple of damaged bottom pulleys in my time. One of my racers has had extra location dowels added
    Jon

2011golfgti likes this.
  3. 2011golfgti Paid Member Paid Member

I put in a bar tek aluminium pulley thinking it was lined up perfectly but couldn't guarantee it was tightened properly, when I used to look down at the engine I use to see a slight wobble on the pulley when running when I had the new one and old one, what should they be torqued at ? the car hasn't been driven since I put in 2 months ago rebuilding it at the moment, i revved it a small bit and the engine stalled and cut out

4. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Slight wobble? And you still ran it? All the torque settings are in the manual. Are we talking about the same thing?
    The crank pulley is actually a torsional (twisting) vibration damper, as well as something to drive ancillaries. Mine is and will remain
    standard, as I've had cranks snap in two racing in my A series days.
    I would convert it back and replace any damaged components
    Jon

5. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Hold on here, thinking a bit clearer now, the lower puller is 2 piece. The big bolt holds the cam drive pulley to the crank and four M8 bolts hold the pulley to this. Clarify what exactly you have changed please
    Jon

6. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

There is not much load at all on that big bolt, its only driving a rubber belt! It would really take some doing to snap that. Overtightened is my bet.

7. 2011golfgti Paid Member Paid Member

sorry I'm probably not explaining myself properly , when I was doing the timing belt on the engine I put in a new timing belt crank pulley there is a tooth on the back that sits onto the crank they're known to snap, I bought a steel pin of bar tek to stop movement on the pulley because the toothless ones are known to snap and then I put the oem alternator and water pump but I put the 4 oem bolts into it new and the one big bolt that holds the crank pulley for the timing belt that's the one that snapped on me yesterday when it was running and when I went to rev it by hand at the front of the engine it just snapped , the pulley and the bolt snapped off here is a picture to give you an idea what it looks like, theres a possibility I did over tight it . Jetta_Syncro_306.jpg Jetta_Syncro_307.jpg

8. Blue MK2 Forum Member

Not read all the replys but you can't re-use the old crank bolt.

If i remember correctly the mk1 DX engine bolt can be reused over but the g60 bolt is a stretch bolt (1 use only) and just need a dab of oil on the thread. No loctite!

I've ordered lots of bolts from vw with lots of G60's coming in with snapped bolts or wobbly pulleys.

Pinning the crank works hand in hand with a new bolt.

Other common one is the supercharger timing belt. Change that for the 12mm one and be done with it. :)

Can't remember the crank torque off the top of my head. 210nm was it?

Had a g60 bend its valves, another g60 not bend the valves with the bolt snap. How bad is the damage?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  9. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

the timing belt gear is still attached in that picture, but the intermediate belt pulley is missing. which one are you saying has come off?

10. 2011golfgti Paid Member Paid Member

They were just pictures I got off google images its not my engine to just give you an idea of the big bolt that snapped my engine is still in the car. im gonna have to change the crank its damaged because the thread is all worn from the bolt breaking.

11. 2011golfgti Paid Member Paid Member

I bought an engine of a lad for sale it was board out to 1.9 and has forged pistons in it big end bearings in It which I bought a year ago a few months ago I bought a new timing belt and tensioner and a new bolt for the tensioner and the four bolts that holds on the timing belt and pulley and all oem vw , and when I got the engine up and running I saw a slight wobble on the pulley and I used to get a awful noise coming from the bottom part of the engine it was a squeaking noise I changed the belt got a tighter one and the noise wasn't as bad so I thought it was fixed but it slowly came back, I never drove the car because im restoring the car , I revved it to 2000rpm and the bolt snapped and the engine stalled the pulley and belt was jammed against it so I don't think there is any engine damage done. some people told me to put in a diesel bolt or are they all the same because theyre stronger , what timing belt pulley do you recommend ? if the belt is a lot tighter than it should be does it put a lot of strain on the bolt or does it matter ? just to give ya the run down of where I am at, the thoughts of stripping it down again is a nightmare