Wide track questions

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Rocket MK2, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Rocket MK2 Forum Member

Got the liners yesterday.

They are quite different. They have a wider section which locates through the cut out section on the wing. They also have 2 holes which the outer arch trim clips into.
    Pleased I have got them as it means it will close the gap up under the arch so no c**p can get in there and finish the conversion off really nicely.
    I'm now going to make up a template to make my wings into full G60 ones with the 2 holes in the wing and the correct cut outs.
    I ended up having to buy another OS G60 arch as I had cut the lugs off it. Will sell it on once I have completed the job.

2. Rocket MK2 Forum Member

Widetrack issues!!!

Well, I have finally got the car on the road but have a couple of problems.

Went to get the car tracked today and it all went wrong...

Firstly I cannot get the 1.5 deg neg camber even with the camber bolts - its about 2.5neg with everything hard up (hub carrier/strut and lower ball joints right in towards centre of car)

I also have a prob with the VR6 top mounts. Because the struts have an increased angle from the turret to the hub it means the top mount is also at an angle and it is binding - The strut turns around the piston/damper whereas it should move with the strut.

I thought I had an issue here as the steering is very stiff!

I have Mk2 hub carriers and I'm thinking I'm going to need Mk3 4 stud carriers?

Can anyone advise if the mounting point for the strut may be further inwards on Mk3 4stud carriers which would help make the strut more upright?

edit: Feeling a bit a low right now. Wanted to use the car this week but it looks like I have to resolve this first. Beginning to wonder if I should have just kept the track standard and fitted some BBB RS's instead. :0(

Its taken so me so much longer to get the car sorted since widetracking. What with the G60 arches etc etc. As you can tell I am feeling sorry for myself..

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

mk3 4 stud carriers are identical to MK2, so that wont help. have you got 2 camber bolts per side? if not, get 2 more! if you do have 2 camber bolts per side, make the holes in the shocks a bit more elongated to get the camber adjustment you need.

4. Rocket MK2 Forum Member

Good tip on the camber bolts - I hadnt thought of that in my negative mood. :thumbup:

If thats the case with the carriers then I'll have to get some G60 top mounts instead of the VR and hope it fixes the prob.

On a positive note the I have noticed a huge improvement in the handing with the widetrack set up and thats without having the alignment done. Its absolutely incredible - just turn in and round she goes....

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  5. paultownsend Forum Member

did you ever sort the issues with the top mounts?

6. rubjonny

I've gone widetrack on my mk2 with VR/MK3 GTI top mounts and they work just fine? rocket did you change the spring plates for the proper ones, you didnt just bolt it all up to the std MK2 spring plates did you? I also just managed to get mine to -1.5deg -ve on 40mm shocks using std shock bolts. though thats using one of those magnetic gauges, which may not be the most accurate of things.
    I used MK3 4 stud widetrack bits btw

7. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

so just to confirm for the one millionth time: Wishbones, shafts and track rod ends off any Mk3 big block 4stud will fit a late spec mk2 16v, dont need subframe, hubs or steering rack.

8. rubjonny

wishbones and track rods from any 4 stud mk3, big or smnall block. shafts need to be big block, with 100mm inner c/vs. Dont need subframe or rack. track rods need to match your rack, i.e. manual or power.

9. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

and arb mountings are in the same place? pretty easy swap really specially when you already have the gearbox and wishbones off,lol.

10. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

11. danster Forum Addict

That link is just for 4 stud mk3 wishbones.
    5 stud GTI and VR wishbones are different and not usable if fitting 4 stud hubs.

It is one or the other if wide tracking. This is all you need to know below.
    Either, All bits off a mk3 4 stud (256mm brake hubs, 100mm shafts and manual or power steering tie rods depending on what you need)
    Or, All bits off a mk3 GTI or VR 5 stud.
    The mk2 and mk3 4 & 5 stud subframes are the same width where the wishbones mount.

12. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Cheers, I know the info is out there but theres so much info out there its hard to confirm stuff,lol.

I want to keep 4 stud so I will just buy the bones and shafts from a mk3 4stud, need to pick up a few things for the mk2 so I will try and do a deal with a vw breakers.

13. danster Forum Addict

Indeed! About 10,000 widetrack threads are started each week!:o
    Poor rubjonny is going to have an RSI from responding to them all.[:^(]

A new forum rule is being muted at the moment to help prevent this:
    If you can't search for a "How to Widetrack" thread on your own............Your barred!:lol:

14. rubjonny

aye 4 stud mk3 wishbones have MK2 style arb mountings. mk3 5 stud ones are different, plus ball joints are mounted further forward as well so you cant mix n match 5 stud bones with 4 stud bearing carriers, & vice versa.

5 stud passat wishbones however have MK2 arb mountings, but the ball joint mounts are in the same place as MK3 5 stud so unusable. But this means you can go 5 stud widetrack but retaining a 4 stud arb if the need arises.