Wideband For MegaSquirt 3

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by drunkenalan, Oct 15, 2007.

1. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

Which Wideband is accurate & reliable enough for MS3.

Im Told that the innovate ones arent quick enough, would something like a bosch LSU 4.2 be suitable?

2. bertelli_1 Forum Member

I use an Innovate and its plenty quick enough. It doesn't really matter which one you go for as long as its a type MS works with.

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Innovate controllers use a LSU 4.2 UEGO. TBH matey you just use the UEGO to establish LeanBestTorque. Initially this is an open loop operation. Going closed loop is your option although I do not know what will be achieved by doing this.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  4. Mike_H Forum Addict

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  5. bertelli_1 Forum Member

You need the controller as well as the sensor - get hold of bill shurvington (google his name), he's the uk importer for all things megasquirt. I think my sensor cost about 190 all in.

6. yeha Forum Member

I have the innovate too. The only real options were the Innovate or the Techedge. I thought about building the Techedge, but couldn't be bothered as I already had a Megasquirt to do. The LC1 can be bought for 135 delivered which was as cheap/cheaper than the Techedge kit. The only downside to the LC1 is the lack of logging of RPM and throttle angle, which the Techedge does, but the Megatune covers this. Running the LC1 as a standalone on my standard injection system is not too useful because you don't really know what's going on. I use a local hill and a couple of fixed points so I know what gear and rpm I start off in.

7. Toyotec

8. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

i have been offered the wideband and controller for 235, is this about right or should i be looking at a differing option.

9. Toyotec

Is this an LM-1 system.

10. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

unsure toyo its was recommended to me by mtech as the one to have.

11. steve r

steve r Forum Member

I use and LC-1 with the XD-1 dash mounted gauge, very happy with it. Megatune has the LC-1 values selectable from a drop down menu so setup is easy.

12. abf"d mk1 Paid Member Paid Member

What ever are you all talking about. no dont try to explain.

13. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

using a wideband o2 sensor to control fuelling, on a megasquirted 8v on ITB's, it will also aid 3d mapping

i hope my understanding is correct as im awaiting my megasquirt ecu to come thro.

14. bertelli_1 Forum Member

Sounds like you've got it covered. Don't rely on the o2 to control fuelling though - you can use GEGO (auto corrects to 14.7 afr) mid range but you don't want to tune to this at idle or full throttle areas.

15. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

ok getting my head around this, [:s]
    A wideband will adjust to suit any fluctuations in air temp/density, poor fuel etc. My understanding is that without o2 sensor you arent supplying the ecu with any feedback, so if you map you car with an outside temp of 20 degrees, and middle of december the air temp is 0 degress, the ecu will be fuelling for the original targets set, where as the ideal target may be slightly different.[:s]

16. Toyotec

A wideband sensor (UEGO) and its controller/reader will allow you to set the required fueling to suit the condtions. Megasquirt is not very good at adpatation which is where feedback ( closed loop PID) would be needed. There are AFR target tables ( with input from a WB controller) in MS where you can tell it what desired AFRs you need and at what load/speed. But this does not mean that the optimum torque will be achieved or that the car will drive properly. This where you revert to filling in the 12X12 maps with proper VE numbers based on AFRs and Spark values. The bulk can be done on a dyno, to establish LeanBestTorque and best spark advance with the rest fined tuned on the road for drivabilty. Or if you do not have a dyno and know how to simulate constant load you can do all on the road and still have a good working car. Better if you have two ppl when doing this. For air temperature deltas you just switch the air temp off correction then when the base map is finished you can switch it on and fill in the deisre spark retard to compensate to added inlet heat.
    It would be easier than you think once you start.
    I do not use feedback in any of my cars, which have no cats, when the calibration is complete. Neither did VW in their UK non cat digifant 2 PCMs. Feedback brought in by OEMs to aid in Catalyitc performance and in cases where 2 or three are used to monitor the cat (OBD requirements).

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  17. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

umm...

so o2 sensing isnt neccessarily required as the inlet temp which is monitored by a sender supplies the ecu with it signal, the ecu then alters the mixture to suit the current temps

18. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

ok where does the temp sender go? as its a throttle body application.

19. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Anywhere near the TB`s will be good enough, the nearer the better.

I ended up running full closed loop with the wideband, only had +-3% correction in the full load areas though but it worked well.

I use a Zeitronix ZT-2 wideband, the display is excelent if you by it (optional extra) and lets you keep an eye on things at all times.

Any wideband controller with an analogue 0v to 5v output can be used, the Bosch sensors are nice and cheap, NTK are marginally better but twice the price or more..

20. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

the sensor isnt the problem, its getting the controller for it.