Wider tyres = flexing bulkhead

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by speedsix, Nov 2, 2003.

1. speedsix Forum Member

When I apply some lock the bulkhead flexes where the steering bracket is mounted, it makes a horrible clicking/creaking noise. The bracket has broke once, which was welded, now I need to strengthen the bulkhead somehow.. any ideas?

Isn't this a common problem with wider rubber on golfs, is their a known fix? They're only 195/50 toyos.

Many thanks

Dom.
    Edited by: speedsix

2. AndrewF Forum Addict

i guess this is whats refered to as scuttle shake?!!

3. alanbe2 Paid Member Paid Member

On the cabrio you'll find with wider tyres that the steering mounts will come under alot of strain. In particular, the drivers side one, as it's nearest the exhaust downpipe. That mount has broken away 3 times now on mine, and needed rewelding. And that's with 15's :(

Don't know of any quick fix way of strengthing, beyond building up a bigger plate for the steering rack mount to attach to.

Al
    Edited by: alanbe2

4. speedsix Forum Member

Thanks m8

Does your bulkhead creak? I'm not driving mine at the moment doesn't sound safe. The bracket seems to be holding.

Putting a bigger plate behind is going to be quite a bit of work methinks :(

5. Counterfeit New Member

Get a piece of 1/2 steel tube just longer than the distance between the top nut on each rack u mount. Flatten the ends, drill two holes, and you have a brace. no more problems

6. alanbe2 Paid Member Paid Member

What a "cracking" idea, think I'll be going that way once I start the project ;)

Al

7. Counterfeit New Member

yeah hit me while i was building the car thinking 'man thats baaaaaaaaaaaaad'

not had a problem since, and the steering is much sharper