Widetracking a mk1 for BergCup

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by fthaimike, Jan 13, 2008.

1. mk1steve Forum Member

as asked, this i think personally is the simplist way of increasing you track with minimum amount of custom(read expensive:lol: )parts, if you do the above then work out wheel offsets to make up the rest of the arch gap, i was thinking about banded steelies but they arnt road legal.

not to set this off topic i wanted to do double wishbone as i think,i can then do as i please regarding wishbone lengths, driveshafts and so on, its an added bonus that i have more scope for parts to pick from[:D] [:s]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  2. mk1steve Forum Member

also just to add, cant remember where but chris E thought that maybe the reeves mk2 stuff was passat items, maybe this could be a source of driveshafts for those wishing to berg the mk1's

3. bigmac Forum Member

GEEZER, i remember reading about the Golfs in the slick 50 championship (10 or so years ago now) and some of the cars didn't have front rollbars , and the one's that did cut it in half & then slid on a rubber sleeve .

4. fthaimike Forum Addict

Yes mac it was mentioned & talked about in a lengthy thread regarding track setup ages ago (if i find the thread i will post it for you).

I am going to try to if possible go that bit further with the extending steve to try to use more standard type offset wheels.

I think it will come down to how much angle i can get back by having adjustable camber up top without the shocks fowling.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  5. mk1steve Forum Member

if you use the same top mounts as vw_singh find a long driveshaft and work out the wishbone and tierod length from there you will have very little limiting your track width.

any extra track needed should be minimal sized spacer.

this way you could have some rose jointed tubular wishbones made to size and its just tie rods after that, surely a machine shop could make an add-on between the the rod and rod end, if that all makes sense lol:lol:

6. fthaimike Forum Addict

Yeah that's the idea mate.

7. geezer Forum Member

Cheers fella ;)

8. fthaimike Forum Addict

How do they manage to get away with such big spacers without anything breaking, or would it just take more regular maintenance?

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

^^ moved the post here.

Think the debate was previously on this thread?

10. prof Forum Addict

dick shine on vortex posted loads of stuff about this, however they did run very hard front springs, loads of neg camber and custom swivels that lowered the lower balljoint

there was a huge vortex thread about it

wonder if any of the Locost wishbones would be anywhere near in terms of geometry

11. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

I dont buy the whole dick shine theory I'm afraid - not when you dont race on billiard table smooth tracks - you really need to control roll on a golf but of course you also need suspension travel or as soon as you hit that first apex bump....bye bye

12. fthaimike Forum Addict

13. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

nice work on that car - thing I dont get though is why didn't they drop the bottom outer pivot on a car with so much fabrication in the suspension.......

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Likewise.

15. fthaimike Forum Addict

Does anyone know how much ET they have gained to play with after fitting the Berg arches to their mk1's?

16. altern8 Forum Junkie

very low ets mike

17. fthaimike Forum Addict

You still got those big wheels Craig?

18. fthaimike Forum Addict

Come on peeps there should be plenty of people out there now with Berg Cup kits.....

Please post up what wheels etc you have used to fill those arches.

19. mk1steve Forum Member

lol maybe expensive wide wheels and big spacers are the easiest way mike, or see image to make you some.....

20. prof Forum Addict

i'd fit complete mk2/mk3 subframe etc. cheap wheels and tyres, much stiffer construction. Needs some clever welding etc, but after that you can just use all stock parts