Wil my old cdchanger work with new h.unit

Discussion in 'ICE' started by neath_jmj, Feb 8, 2004.

1. neath_jmj Forum Member

Right my old head uit is a Clarion ARX7370R with the matching cd changer will this clarion cd changer work with a different head unit a kenwoodKRC -778R ??? does anyone know??? Your help would be great thank you

2. GTi69 Forum Member

I wouldn't have thought so.

3. neath_jmj Forum Member

Why not then? Because the cd changer is clarion and head unit is kenwood? I had a sony cd changer before and that was bale to be used with any headunit

4. GTi69 Forum Member

The connection that goes into the back of the head unit from the multi-changer is nearly always a different type from different manufactures.

Also the commands the head units use to control the multi-changers varies from company to company.

I may be wrong, but in my experience you normally have to use the same manufacturers multi changer and head unit. I had a new alpine head unit and a fairly old multi-changer, the multi-changer was too old and wasn't supported by the new head unit, so even combos from the same manufactures don't work.

5. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

It wont

6. superden Forum Addict

No. The manufacturers want you to buy their head unit/cd changer packages so they dont make them compatible with other brands.

7. neath_jmj Forum Member

Damn, so does any1 else agree then? I just want to make sure, thank you for all your replies guys

8. Madbloke Forum Member

Not neccesarily, you can run different manufacturer HU and disc changers but you will need to buy one of those relativly nast FM modulator things that runs your CD player through your radio aerial input --- you pick the cD up on channel 6 of the radio.

Most manufactureres offer these but no idea how much or good they are ---

Dont know exactly what you need but below is an example

http://www.add-a-cdchanger.co.uk/acatalog/SHOP_Home_Page_FM_ Modulator_CD_Changers__46.html

Edited by: Madbloke

9. Madbloke Forum Member

As i have a few spare mins I managed to dig this out

http://www.prodigit.net/clarionDB/manual/2003/operation/4400 /FM201-EU.pdf

This should allow operation of your changer with the Kenny.

Pioneers version has a seperate display and buttons that you can mount somewhere for ease of operatio where as this dosent so maybe more ideal for DVD and multimedia etc. ---

Like I said no idea how good and I reckon about 50 so may be better to flog on link not allowed and get a new changer
    Edited by: Madbloke

10. superden Forum Addict

FM Mods arent really that great as the quality of the sound is compromised.