Will a G60 head/cam suit other 8v blocks

Discussion in '8-valve' started by 2dubnick, May 19, 2009.

1. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Iv got two G60 heads and as they have bigger ports, sodium filled valves and are heat treated it seems sensible to use one of them on my mk1 when putting the bike carbs on, but will it fit on a DX block? Or any other N/A blocks? Or can I swap all the internals from a DX into a G60 block so I have oil squirters aswell?

Also would a G60 cam suit a N/A engine, or am I miles off the mark with that thought?

2. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

the cam is no use to a N/A engine, the heads have a dodgy gallery, that makes them different to the other 8v heads. whether it can still be used on a DX block, i have no idea, compare the galleries on the heads

3. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

first glance it looks as if everything would line up, but I need to get measuring later when im back from work.

4. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

before I go digging around for a head gasket off a dx to see if it lines up is there anyone who has used a g60 head on a n/a engine? Is the combustion chamber larger therefor decreasing the CR? Is there any great reason why I shouldnt bother? Im sure I read of someone in the know that was waiting on a g60 head to fit it to a dx block.

5. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

whats wrong with the DX head?

6. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

g60 head has had a little bit of work just a very light polish in the combustion chamber and the valve throats which probably means that its had new guides, and its defantly had a skim, looks in good condition and from standard it has bigger inlet ports and a few other things.

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

What's a dodgy gallery, Al? Full of naughty pictures?!?

8. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

i seem to remember reading about it in the tim styles / haynes book

9. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Just put the charger on with it and you've got a bit more fun right there ;)

10. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

theres abit more to it than just wacking on a charger unfortualtly, my original plan was doing a g60t but realistically I need the money to be spent else where. Ill measure the chambers this w/e and test fit it to a dx block if all is well.

11. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

i'm 95% certain they are the same as normal mk2 heads, just with the valcves and slightly different casting on the ports. the head gasket will swap over so the head should too i believe