Will a Golf 2 Inlet Manifold on Tall Block fit in Mk1?

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by thegeo, Jun 12, 2011.

1. thegeo

thegeo Forum Member

Hi,
    Subject says what but not why.
    6 years ago i fitted an ADY bottom end (and 02J box) to my RHD K-Jet Golf 2.
    I had a late G2 PB digifant head ported and the MK2 GTI inlet manifold was ported to match the head.

I'm living in Montreal with the same car, but I have decided to build a nutter ITB, megasquirted ABF for it.
    So I will have a spare "built" ADY with Mk2 inlet manifold, which I intend to fit to my 90 Golf 1 Cabriolet.
    The "Rabbit Cabriolet" which has an asthmatic North American spec digifant 1.8 2H engine in it.
    It wouldn't pull the skin of a rice pudding

The question is: will the MK2 GTI inlet manifold, already on the tall block ADY fit in the Mk1 chassis without smacking the bulkhead / rain tray?

worst case, I can always get the 2H manifold ported.......

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  2. thegeo

thegeo Forum Member

Still not tried the tall block golf 2 motor in the Cabriolet
    so I thought i'd give this one last try and a bit of a:

BUMP!

Can anyone help?
    Basically I want to put a Golf 2 inlet manifold with the throttle body on the Right hand side in a golf 1, which has the throttle on the left.
    Will it fit without smacking anything?

I don't care about about airboxes etc as it's going to be a megasquirt "passat 16v auto" TPS jobbie with no airflow sensor.

3. big nick Forum Member

try it and see! the worst case scenario is having to 'modify' the rain tray slighty, either a big hammer or a cutting disc will do just fine : )

4. mk2vivs Forum Member

im pretty sure it will clear, my friend had a mk3 golf(tall block motor 2E code)engine complete in his mk1 golf with no fouling

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

use the old 2h inlet and management, it will make your life much easier. keep the 2.0 injectors n stuff. i think the 2h uses the same ecu pinout as pb management, if so you could swap the mk2 ecu over, or just get the 2h ecu chipped. i believe there are guys on the vortex who sell pb mapped chips for the lame us digi ecus.

otherwise you'll have to modify the mk2 wiring loom to suit the mk1, plus i dont think the airbox will fit on the left side chassis leg as space on that side of engine is limited