Will a k04 001 replace my blown ko3s?

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by deebee, Nov 5, 2009.

1. deebee Forum Member

Ive blown my k03s on my 2001 aum golf, had no luck finding a replacement other than brand new but I've been offered a k04 001 brand new for 200 quid, it's not a Chinese copy just bought in haste and now gone k04 023.

Will it go straight on with no mods at all and will my car be ok running the standard map?

Anyone?

2. G-Man Forum Junkie

From what I can remember it needs a different manifold and downpipe to begin with, then there's the issue of the map won't won't suited for it. You might also need to look at the turbo inlet pipe, injectors, oil lines, MAF etc...but then if upgrading again intercooler options...

3. Mat-R Forum Member

Quite the opposite.
    It will be a direct fit and is pretty much the same spec as your original.
    Are you sure that isn't one of those ebay specials?
    If the serial plate looks like it was engraved rather than stamped, it's not original.

4. G-Man Forum Junkie

More information please as interested to hear how this is the case? :)

5. Mat-R Forum Member

The k04-001 has the same housing as his "k03s", so it therefore shares the same pipework.
    The difference between the two, been mainly the exhaust side flowing better on the 001, along with a stronger wastegate spring.
    This is not from personal experince, but from a little research.
    I'm sure that someone better qualified, will be able to give you a better explanation on the spec difference, anyone?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  6. Admin Guest

what were they found on?

7. deebee Forum Member

went and spoke to my local rr operator after work today. answering my own questions from the op, the turbo is a direct fit and is basically a k03s with a higher flowing turbine wheel (meaning a touch more lag i guess) and a slightly (i think 4mm) bigger compressor wheel. yes there are small changes in the housing design but none of it affects the fitent to a standard car.

it wont affect the running of a car on a standard map as long as the wastegate doesnt open at any more than 5-6 psi as on a standard car, as we all know kids, the main portion of boost is controlled by the boost valve which is given its orders from the ECU. and the ecu has enough built in "self correction" to account for any more air it "might" flow, because its not going to flow massively more like a gt28rs for instance

the following is my own findings today.

it will produce marginally more power outright than a k03s but only 10 maybe 15 hp but it will help the engine to rev better at the top end because its freer flowing and also adds some safety because it produces slightly lower intake temps because its not working quite so hard.

have found some people saying that going from a k03s to a k04 001 produces a very significant improvement in mid range and top end pull, but its all a bit subjective i suppose unless you see two back to back dynos on same car etc etc.

but then who knows, i dont have a doctorate in fluid dynamics or have any books on ideal gas law, im just a GOOGLE blagger just like every other forum surfer:hug:

8. Mat-R Forum Member

ebay, lol

9. G-Man Forum Junkie

Never knew about this so very interesting!! But only seem to see cheap Chinese made turbos and not the good old Borg Warners.

10. JordyGTI New Member

Where do we find these turbo's then ? what were they fitted to ?

11. m477hew Forum Member

They werent fitted to anything as far as I know.

There are plenty for sale on ebay though.

They come up as K04 upgrade for Audi / VW.

Im in the same boat, the oil seals on my K03s equipped AUM have gone, Ive seen these K04-001 on ebay but they seem to cheap too be true when places like CR Turbos charge 475+vat for a brand new K03s.

Ive yet to find anything on the forums regarding someone who has actually fitted a K04-001.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  12. Mat-R Forum Member

Hi there, I wasn't joking when I said Ebay, lol.
    There is one on Ebay at the moment which looks to be having its own little game of pass the parcel.
    It looks like no-one has had the balls to fit it, especially considering that it's a straight bolt on.
    You can't buy a decent CHRA for what these "special" turbos go for.

13. Collie Forum Junkie

ebay link mat-r

14. Mat-R Forum Member

15. Collie Forum Junkie

currently saving for next mod, just seeing whats about. had a ko3s but sold it on as my daily blew up.

16. Classy6 Forum Member

As said, the K04-01 is same fitment as K03. It's the K04-02s that you need different manifold, downpipe etc for, they come standard on 210/225bhp audi/seat engines.

Stay away from those chinese cheap crap turbos, well away.

17. INA

INA Forum Member

K04-001 / K03 & K03S will bolt up to the same manifolds

K04-020 / K04-022 & K04-023 will bolt up to the Audi TT / Seat Leon 225bhp manifold