will it blow up.

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by dazzer-b, Apr 3, 2004.

1. dazzer-b New Member

about 2 months ago i fitted a dump valve to my 1.8t i heard alot of people saying you shouldnt and others saying i could, i decided to go for it. 2 weeks later i was stranded on the m4 with a blown turbo. will the 2 be related as i want to put it back on just at shows the petrol bills were 2 high to have it on constantly. my engine was making a wuring noise as i accelerated before i fitted it which i read was an indication of the turbo going. since i have had the new turbo fitted it has been fine.

please help.

dazzer

2. rick1.8t Forum Member

Scarry [:s]
    Edited by: rickvr6

3. oakgreen16vbeas New Member

my mate had a punto gt, now I know its completely different build quality here, but he fitted a dump valve not long after buyin it, and he too blew up the turbo, and melted a piston ,apparently if you dont adjust your fuelling it can cause bad mixture,which is a very bad thing on turbo's, so if i was you if you have warrenty still, id whip it off and act dumd, as it voided my mates warrenty, fitting aftermarket items

Soz for the bad news mate

4. HEARDY Forum Member

I can't see how a dump valve would damage a turbo it help put less strain on a turbo if anything all it does is reduce turbo lag when changing gear ;)

5. oakgreen16vbeas New Member

just quoting what fiat said to my friend, I couldnt see where they were coming from, just giving the advice about warrenty really

I think the explanation was because the turbo is able to run at higher boost as the lag is reduced the fuelling needed to accomodate for this from the ecu, thus creating a weak mixture which everyone knows is vv bad on turbo cars

6. dazzer-b New Member

i know tht fitting it causes a rich fuel mix is there anyway of changeing the fuel to air ratio on the ecu.

7. KeithMac Forum Junkie

From what I`ve read on here the vw`s use a recirculating dump valve, if you vent to atmosphere it will confuse the ecu as it`s expecting air to be fed back into the intake, cocking the fueling up. I`d leave the recirculating one on, or fit a better aftermarket recirculating one.