Will my wheels fit my mk2?

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by shiggins92, Mar 21, 2013.

1. shiggins92 Forum Member

Basically i have bought another mk2 and i am wanting to put my old wheels on which are 15" 7j et35.

The problem i am having is the car has big 4 pot Porsche calipers so i need to space the wheels out to fit around 25-30mm.

If i am adding 25mm thats like fitting 9j et35? Is this possible without problems?

Has anyone had close to this spec and got any pictures?

Im trying to find someone local who can lend me a big 25mm spacer so i can see what its like but i havent had any luck so far :/

2. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

What size disks are you running with these callipers? I have a set of brembo 4 pot's on a mk2 and I have only found 16" wheels will fit? My disks are 305mm. I was having to use 5mm spacers too.

That aside I think you might well find you are going to be catching bodywork with your suggested setup.

I will have a look at the wheels I have got tonight to see what offset etc they are.

3. lard44 Forum Member

Bringing the wheels out that far may cause trouble with the arches at the front, especially if you're low...

Where you based? I've got a pair of 25mm spacers gathering dust in the garage...

4. WillG

WillG Forum Member

It'll be the equivalent of et5 - et10 which will no doubt catch the arches, handle like crap and kill your wheel bearings faster!

5. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

^^^^ This ^^^^

You don't add the spacer width to the wheel width, you subtract it from the offset. (as a rule)

6. shiggins92 Forum Member

So is it a bad idea trying to fit them?

My current front wheels are 16" 6j et52 with 20mm spacers and they 'just' fit over the brakes with arch work.

Looks like in the future i may have to sell the calipers and get wilwoods :(

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

It's not a bad idea to *try*, unless it's going to cost you money to try, but you might find it doesn't work too well.

Are you running big power that you need the bigger brakes? Audi S2 / 20v Quattro brakes will fit under 15" wheels, and are big beasts! Heavy though, so they're not ideal in terms of unsprung weight.

8. shiggins92 Forum Member

Not that much around 200bhp but will soon be 330-350bhp so i may need them and the wilwoods seem to be the ones to go for which i should be able to afford if i sell the porsche ones