Will the MK2 GTI 16V go up in value?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Ell Dess, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Ell Dess New Member

Just a general question guys, do you think the MK2 will follow slightly in the same footsteps as the MK1 in regards to appreciation? Im aware that the MK1 GTI was "the start of an era" etc, however a lot of people describe the MK2 GTI 16V as "the best hot hatch ever".

2. micky1 Forum Member

it will ether have too be concourse condition or a rare model IMHO.

i agree on the mk2 16v being the best GTI of all time. 1987 was start..i like the 90 spec cars but a great drivers cars, practical and cool.

3. Bat. Forum Member

Most certainly I'd say. They are beginning to become rare, especially in solid, standard form. A well cared for Mk2 16v can only go one way in terms of value.

4. Rich1977 New Member

They ain't exactly cheap as it is you will struggle to pick a half decent solid one up for less than 1500

5. Ell Dess New Member

I hope so! It really took me a long time to find my Oak Green 16 valver, went to see a few for 2500 - 3000 and they were absolute rust buckets! I paid 3750 for mine but it is in lovely condition with FSH etc et :thumbup:

6. Rich1977 New Member

Are rust free models really that rare? Mine is rock solid including the sills, not a patch of rust on her. And only payed 1100 for her and that's with what could well turn out to be a oetinger lump.

I often see them up for 2500-3000 but never untill now read of anyone paying that for one

7. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Everything does eventually given enough time and the Mk2 16V is no exception - the caveats are that it is retained in original condition with as much provenance as possible.

8. Ell Dess New Member

Yeah mate have a look on Piston Heads, some people are trying to ask for silly money tbh!

9. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

True enough but one way or the other people will pay strong money for decent and original cars, they are a better investment than a lot of things these days.

10. G28OPN Forum Member

I saw pics of your valver the other day. Beautiful car. Id pay what you paid judging by the looks of it. You wont lose money on it and will only go up in value providing you keep it pretty original bar engine mods. Im always looking on ebay etc and they are definately increasing in price as time goes by. Definately a worthwhile investment. You did well. :thumbup:

11. G_Whizz Forum Member

I think it will, without doubt. It has too much of a following for it not to.

I paid 4k for mine the other day, but it literally is mint and has 85k on it along with a FSH and every MOT (and tax disc) since it first needed an MOT in 1994.
    When in completely original condition they will only go up in value, without a doubt.

If I come across another like mine I will buy it!

How many miles has yours got elliot? Sounds like you got a wicked deal!!

12. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I found when looking they are either completely solid or rust buckets, there was no in between stage and that was 10 years ago!.