will these 10cm ones fit my mk2?

Discussion in 'ICE' started by David Number 2, Sep 13, 2006.

1. David Number 2 Forum Member

not expecting like thuding bass, just enough to hear it ok.

Next Will be a headunit that can take my MP3, prefably with a front and rear aux...

2. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

Rainbow SLX230 Deluxe - better than the SLX230

link

3. David Number 2 Forum Member

going high for me :( gotta get the car RR, and saving for coillies, on, and insurance payment due soon!

SLX 230s ordered.

Thanks guys.

will I ahve to made brackets for the tweeters?

And the wires that are in the back of the dash tweeters, can I use them or do i need to replace them?

4. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

you'll get brackets, otherwise just cut up and bend one o those HU metal mounting thingies

i'd re-wire everything with better quality cable. i hope you're going to amp them?

5. David Number 2 Forum Member

urm.......

is it ok not to at first, I wont be running a sub for a while.

Where would the amp go? I didnt know you used amps with upfront *******s!

point me in the direction please my darrynK

thanks for your help.

Dave

6. David Number 2 Forum Member

tried looking myself, 2 channel, multi, mono.....

urmmm.....

7. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

2 channels - for front components, no room for expansion with a sub at later date

4 channels - 2 for front components, bridge 2 for sub / or bridge 4 channels into 2 and run fronts from that

5 channels - front, rear and sub all on own channel / 4 bridged in into 2 for fronts + one for sub

i have 5 channels - 4 channels bridged into 2 for front components plus dedicated channel for the sub

if you plan to bridge, make sure amp is bridgeable :)

8. Mark16v Forum Member

As Darryn has said, I wouldn't bother with a 2 channel amp as you are bound to want to upgrade or add a sub at a later date. For sheer simplicity buy a 4\5 channel amp and then you'll save yourself the hassle of adding more kit and wires in later.

9. Mark16v Forum Member

Oh yeah.... For a budget amp that is still powerfull enuff to cope with a set of components and a sub then you can't go wrong with one of these.

Cost the same as the Rainbows so not going to break the bank at all. Tempted to upgrade to one of these for my setup as my old rockford is starting to look a little under powered

10. David Number 2 Forum Member

right as i said the components are ordered. it didnt go through last night, have done it again today. How long do they take to come?

im excited!

THe amp will come after my next pay check arrives!

and about installed. My doors did have pockets on, i some grills from a scrappy. Do i basically, drill a hole into the door, feed the wire through up to that rubber bit by the door hinge. Take the lower part of the dash off, thread it through...then what. Does it all go into the crossovers? Where can I secure the crossovers in the dash?

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
  11. beetie

beetie Forum Member

wires from the headunit/amp to the crossover(in), then 2 pairs of wires out of the crossover to the speakers (hi to the tweeters, low to the main speaker-even you'll see what i mean:p )

screw the tweeter to the panel that hides the wingmirror screws. and then hide the crossovers (drivers side stuffed above the fuse box, passengers up behind the dash under the carpet)

oh and get an amp: genesis, jl audio, phoenix gold or BBG(budget phoenix gold) are some of the better ones - look on ebay as there are sometimes some bargains to be had. some of the old v12 alpines are pretty good aswell

for amps (well for all stereo stuff) it's the RMS output that's most important rather than max.

12. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

FLI amps [xx(]

dont waste your money

13. David Number 2 Forum Member

[​IMG]

ok heres everything that came in the package. Speakers attached to mk2 grills. Dont see how woofers in the door can reach anything. Baring in mind I had pockets instead of grills, so lacking wires to door. Is something missing or do I need to buy additional wire? The woofers have those plug things on, but theres nothing to plug onto it...

Can someone show me a diagram, or draw a quick one...Darryn said he would when he was sober :)

Cheers

Dave

14. beetie

beetie Forum Member

those 2 little boxes will probably be the crossovers(usually they are bigger), they split the signal into high and low.

hi goes to the tweeters and low to the main speakers. you need some wire to go from the headunit to the crossover normally.

15. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

i will. you'll have it by february.

d

16. marinemitch New Member

sorry to but in but i may be able to help.
    i previously kitted out my mk2 with tunes and used the old dash speaker baskets to mount the tweeters as they would be getting binned anyway. just rip out the old cones and fix in new tweets.
    ps use as large a guage of speaker wire as poss, not the bell wire you get with speaker kits.

17. David Number 2 Forum Member

thanks for your help mate. I got them in today actually, a guy from halfords who owns a mk2 jetta came to mine and did it for free! top guy.

Am i pleased with them? Yes and no. They seem abit balls when gettin to the louder volumes when it gets abit bassy. It distorts/goes crackly. and were not talking fullblast. I know they wouldnt produce much bass, but still, I thought they'd be better than they were. The ones in his car, some halfords pioneer ones could go louder and he has nothing fancy. Could it be due to bad wiring or anything like that? I must say though the sound quality on the lower levels is good, especially the high/mid tones.

18. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

they need to be amped to get best outta them

next pay packet? lol

19. David Number 2 Forum Member

thought that was coming

But surely it still shouldnt go crap when you go the louder sounds? My friends cars speakers perform better and there not amped! He suggested that it doesnt help having say 6 (or was it 4) bullet connectors between the head unit and tweeter for example....but the tweeters are fine I think, its just the louder noise and bass coming through the woofers. It cant deal with it.

Sod it, ill get an amp :|

20. Mark16v Forum Member

The speakers in you mates car are probably rated at a lower RMS so need less power to go to their full limit. Get an amp and you'll be amazed at how different your comps sound, my alpines sounded good on the headunit but when I finally wired in my amp it sounded so much better. Wasn't sure if I wanted to add a sub they sounded that good, the bass was much stronger and audible at higher volumes where as before amp they simply farted and distorted. Amping components is the only way forward really, the crossover 'soaks up' some of the supplied power so if you're feeding them an already low input they won't be great.