will they fit?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by sambo, Feb 16, 2004.

1. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Thought about changing my rear callipers (corrado 16v) for mk3 items. I'v heard stories of having to haftu putt em upside down! Anyone know if this is true and what is the best way to do it? Help please!

2. md8v Forum Member

the reason that they are fitted upside down is that at some point, 88 ish i think, (dont hold me to that though) vw changed the rear calipers on golfs to slightly larger ones which had the handbrake mechanism on the underside instead of the top and the inlet pipe into the top instead of the bottom. My 8v golf has had these fitted and they were fitted upside down so that new brake lines and cables didnt have to be run. the problem with this is that the bleed nipples are now on the bottom which means you have to take them off the carriers and hold them up right to bleed them properly! being a corrado i would have thought you would have the new style rear calipers, easily identifiable by looking where the brake fluid inlet pipe is, and they should have "38" stamped on them somewhere. as far as i was aware, these were the same as the mk3 golf anyway.

3. VR6Will Forum Member

yep, my golf has had later mk3 calipers fitted, and yes have been done upside down as my golf is an '88, will get it changed eventually

pm me if you need a set of later mk3 calipers
    Edited by: oakgreen88

4. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

CHEERS FOR REPLYING LADS,BUT AS IT HAPENS I'V ACCIDENTALY CAME ACROSS A PAIR OF NEARLY NEW REAR CALLIPERS THAT CAME OFF A BORA SO I BOUGHT THEM AND FOR 80 QUID ITS A BARGAIN! I'V TRYED BEFORE IF THEY 'L FIT AND MUCH TO MY RELIEF THEY GO STRAIGHT ON! AND IF U SWAP EM ROUND AND PUT O\S ONTO N\S BLEEDING NIPLE AND HOSE CONNECTOR ENDS UP RIGHT WAY UP! RESULT! THE ONLY THING I'L HAFTU GET IS A PAIR OF LONGER HOSES. THE OTHER GOOD THING ABOUT THESE CALLIPERS IS THEY ARE SO MUCH LIGHTER WHICH CAN ONLY BE A GOOD THING. NO MORE SEIZING CALLIPERS! YEY!

5. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

Ssssshhhhhh......... :)

6. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

jebem ti mater usta!!! [:x]

7. HidRo Forum Member

e', o gajo e' mm um ganda paneleiro,fds!!!

8. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

am i rite to say that means ,(lad is a big faggot)?

9. HidRo Forum Member

damn,youre a quick learner [:D] LMAO