will this fit and work?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by identity crisis, Jun 7, 2010.

1. identity crisis New Member

hi all ive had to start again with my mk2 20vt project due to the dreaded rot :-< but hey ho im gunna start with a standard mk2 gti.ive read you post about driveshaft lengths but it didnt andswer my question,my question is can i use the mk2 driveshafts with mk3 gti outer CV joints as i want to use mk3 hubs because of the bigger 20vt brakes?do they just slot in or am i better to go another route?its because of the number of splines that slot into the cv joint and the thickness of the bit that goes in there.or am i better using differenc hubs.eg mk2 16v front hubs or similar?thanks all.dan

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you cant fit mk3 5 stud bearing carriers to 4 stud wishbones, it throws your castor out. if you want big brakes without going widetrack get 4 stud 256/280 bearing carriers from MK2 late 16v or G60, corrado, Passat, SEAT models etc. if its 4 stud with the calliper carrier separate from the hub then its going to be what you need. the only model that you might not be able to use is the later Polos, I think the bearing carriers on those are a bit different.
    then its callipers & carriers either 256 or 280, easiest place to get em is early MK3 GTI 8v/16v/VR6, loads turning up in scrappies now.

if you desperately want 5 stud but narrow track, you can press 5 stud hubs into 4 stud bearing carriers, then fit m280mm callipers & carriers. Then either re drill 4 stud 280mm discs to 5 stud, or buy early Passat VR6 discs, but these are VW only so a bit pricey:
    357 615 301 A - 280 brake disc, 5x100 - 38.83+VAT