will this gearbox fit my mk2 16v

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by series 1, Feb 18, 2007.

1. series 1 New Member

Was shown a gearbox the other day that was said to fit my mk2 16v? But before i purchase it I got the code that's on it and wondered if you guys could tell me? code is chd18103 14 2.
    cheers simon

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Code CHD boxes were fitted the the 1.8 SPI and Diesels I think, it will physically fit but the ratios wont be well suited to your car. You may also have to swap the pressure plate to one suitable for the gearbox too, depending on the size of the input shaft.

A MK3 2.0 8v GTI box would fit straight one, as would a MK2 16v 2Y box. A MK2 8v GTI box will also fit but you would also need an 8v GTI friction disc, but the ratios are identical to the 16v box apart from 5th is taller giving you more relaxed cruising on the motorway.

3. series 1 New Member

cheers! Do you know the code for the 8v box on either the mk3 or mk2?? cheers simon

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

AMC on MK3 2.0 8v has same clutch as MK2 2Y or AGB 16v box. MK2 8v has early
    9A,ACD and AUG gearboxes. Clutch has smaller spine hole on these. AMC not suited to the character of the 4600-5500 peak torque of 16v. 8V will work but top gear 0.89 is too tall for 16v applications.
    See this thread for more http://www.clubgti.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=115595

5. rubjonny

I don't see how this can be the case, since the 16v has more torque than the 8v it should be able to handle it easily, and since it will allow lower revs in 5th will give more relaxed cruising on the motorway, and in theroy allow a higher top speed?

6. Toyotec

I speak from both experience and calculation, having done this as well as driving the car with the proper gearbox. Yes a 16v has more torque but what you are not saying is where and how this is developed hence the difference in a 0.91 top on 2Y and AGB g/boxes vs 0.89 for 8v units. Remember the Stock 16v tends to peak at 4600revs vs the 8v that does it at 3600 or 1000 revs less. Careful improvements on a 16v can peak torque at up to 5500revs.
    It not that the 8v unit will not work but its not the best 5th gear suited to a 16v. If one can help it put back a 16v unit if you can help it else you can go with an Mk2 GTi 8v unit with a compromised 5th gear

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  7. rubjonny

I still don't see it, the 16v still has more torque than the 8v throughout the rev range, where the 8v peaks at 4.5k the 16v will still be delivering more torque at 4.5k than the 8v, then will continue to deliver after the 8v drops off.

I suppose it depends if you want more performance or economy in I suppose, you may be quicker in 5th with a 16v box, but by then you're already going over the speed limit so to some people the reduction in accelleration in 5th may be offset by the increased economy the 8v box gives :)

8. Toyotec

On a STD 8v at 4500revs you are slowly loosing VE where as the 16v is still gaining.
    The MK2 GTi 8v box works as I have had them on a few of my 16v cars when I could not afford/find a 2Y/AGB unit. But the shorter 16v topgear suits the (KR-rev-to-7200revs-and- still-want-to-rev-soft-cut) motor better. I am sure VAG knew that already

9. rubjonny

yeah, it depends if you want performance or economy I guess :)
    TBH I'd love a driver E gear on my 2y gearbox :lol: