---WILL this gearbox fit??-----

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by cormac, Jun 16, 2008.

1. cormac Forum Member

hello, im wandering if a gearbox out of a 16valve mk3 gti, will fit my 2.0 8v mk3, will they fit without any trouble or will something be different in the 16v gearbox???

thanks!

2. turbotommy Forum Member

It has a hydro clutch, doesn't the 8v have a cable? if so you could get round it by using the Seatcable/conversion (easy enough) but mabe just waiting for another 8v box would be better and cheaper as the 02A is a desirable box.

3. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Aren`t mk3 8v`s rod change and the 16v`s cable change?. It`s a lot of work, new pedalbox, gear lever assy, cables etc to do it propely.

4. cormac Forum Member

yeah 8v is cable clutch or rod i cant remember, i thought the 16v was the same? , but if anyone reading this has a 8v 2.0l gearbox for sale id be willing to buy it from them!

5. cormac Forum Member

m

will the 1.8L 8v mk3 gearbox fit???? i think the shaft size might b different, is that true??

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah the 1.8 mk3 box will bolt on, as you say the input shaft is samller so you need a 1.8 MK2 GTI clutch friction disc. However the ratios will be pretty rubbish! A MK2 16v 2y box will bolt straight on with the existing clutch, or a MK2 8v one if you swap the friction disc as above.

7. cormac Forum Member

bought a mk3, 2.0l 8v gearbox shuld fit like a sock!! got it for 50 pound off 1 of the members on the club! many thanks

8. cormac Forum Member

bought a mk3, 2.0l 8v gearbox shuld fit like a sock!! got it for 50 pound off 1 of the members on the club! many thanks![:D]