will vw do a tyre repair for me?

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by Matt82, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

my NSF was down to 17psi today, clearly has a problem. no obvious nails stuck in it, it needs to be repaired 'again'

around here i would not trust a single one of the garages to do it as they are all thick as two short planks.

if i take the car to VW, does anyone know if they can take a tyre off a rim, check it out, maybe add a new valve etc and stop the air leaking?

ill call them in the morning, but was hoping someone else here may have a clue where to take it where it can actually get done right

i expect that theyll have to rebalance it. i got Big Al to balance mine, but he is in Wales so thats a touch impractical lol

no friggin place i know of round here have been able to balance a wheel properly in my life, and two of the big garages round here couldnt sort the slow punctures out before (they said my wheels were buckled, hence wouldnt balance either... Big Al had no problem with them, so i just accept the garages round here are all stupid or fudge packers)

2. BIG AL

BIG AL Forum Member

I would say yes. I used to work at a Renault and Honda dealership, and we changed/balanced/repaired tyres.

3. Seraph Banned

Why pay a garage to change tyres at a rate of circa 70p/h

Franchise garages basically only do tyre work resulting from servicing that comes in

ATS centres obviously do tyre work all day long, so common sense says they've more contact with tyre work.

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

with ATS, i was going to get a branch in bham to balance them for me back in april when two places in southend and on other in brum couldnt get them to work.

the ATS guys in Redditch seems really on the ball and talked about how the width of the rim had to be taken into account etc. unfortunately they broke the machine before they could do it so i had to put up with wobbley wheels until i made it to Al's in wales lol

ive been planning to get it sorted by ATS, i think ill give them a shot before i go to work tomorrow.

im not confident on the odds of them getting right (ie for air to stay in the tyre and for it not to wobble on the motorway!)

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

If you're tyre is leaking and there's no obvious damage it's probably either:

A leaking valve (especially if the dust cap is missing)

or

Corrosion on the inside of the rim stopping it from sealing properly - in which case the tyre needs to come off. Possible if the wheels are the same age as the car.

...or it could be a damaged rim, but you didn't seem to like that idea :lol:

I wouldn't pay VW to change tyres... You'd be cheaper buying a new one.

You could buy valve inserts and a tool yourself and start by changing the valve.

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

well when they couldnt balance them before they trying to convince me that the wheel wa buckled.... it may have been more to do with the fact they had never removed the original VW tape weights from the inside of the rim.

as for the age of the rim causing a problem, they are old VR6 wheels and pretty corroded. im planning to go for new wheels when the current tyres are dead.

worst case is that the tyre is heavily damaged, that will break my heart. the paradas, despite having 7k+ miles on them are in great condition, ill be very cheesed off i have driven over a nail etc or torn them.

7. Pete Taylor Forum Member

Go see my mate Carl at ATS Redditch, tell him Pete said he'll sort you out ;)

8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i think he was the guy that broke the balancing machine on his first day lol

i would go back there cos they seemed to be petrol heads. unfortunately redditch is about 160 miles away from where i live now :S

ill take my chances with the ATS near here lol

9. Supercharged Forum Member

Any dent tyre and exhaust place should be able to sort it - I wouldn't think a dealership would do a repair, just stick a new one on (if a puncture was found)

Besides, only the biggest VAG dealers have tyre fitting kit, most of them just have a contract with a local place or get a mobile fitter over...

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

right, worst case scinario happened, it is a big old nail very close to the inside edge of the tyre.

the tyre has 7k+ wear, but is only about half way though its life.

no one is going to want to repair this and im not forking out for a new one if this has lots of life left

... tyre weld should save me.

anyone got any experiance of tyre weld etc?

i might get a few cans and ditch the spare lol

11. Supercharged Forum Member

Mate - just get a new tyre it's really not worth it - you got a new spare? maybe swap it...

12. Seraph Banned

Where a tyre outlet can't/won't repair close edge damage and the tyre is still valuable/new, ask them to send it away for a factory repair, which should cost 'about' 15-20.

13. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the spare is space saver size and im too grudged to pay for a new one when this has life left in it.

ill take Seraph's advice and make calls to arrange a 'factory repair' and see how that goes [:D]

cheers guys.

14. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

We'd do it at our place but as Seraph had said we have a massive labour rate so god know what they charge and even then its an apprentence that would do it, no way they'd get an experienced techy off a ramp for a tyre.

15. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

16. Mike_H Forum Addict

Would that be 15-20 on top of the cost of removing your tyre, refitting it and rebalancing it?

Time for a new tyre!

17. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

even if that is the case, no one around here has a clue what it is.

im therefore going for the motorbike repair thing. i cant bring myself to chuck away a good parada thats only had limited (7k miles) use.

18. Seraph Banned

I believe it would be extra-but don't quote me.

Maybe not much help here, but when your 18s cost 150....

ATS will sort a factory repair, after all, they're owned by the world's largest tyre factory anyway!

19. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

..... and on my way home yesterday i found i had another puncture due to a screw, this time in the OSF tyre.

nice

20. Aphex Forum Junkie

Rochford Tires, opposite the Shell garage. Near the Bell where my mate was in a heap :lol:

You should give them a call and see what they can do, they've always been massively helpful to me and they're all brothers there. Which is funny. :lol: