Willow - my LATE mk2 golf gti 8v

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by jonlikescad, Dec 6, 2011.

1. jonlikescad Forum Member

So I picked up Willow on 25th April 2011, and was pleasantly surprised!

G reg Mk2 8v GTI, just hit 172k recently with 4 previous owners.

Bodywork was in really good condition, just some rust around the rear screen washer rubber, and a couple of small dents and scabs. I think the rear rust may creep towads the glass in which case I will get a new tailgate for it. It shouldn't be too hard to find a black one, or even respray a good one black.

Engine is the PB running Digifant. Started easily and idled without effort although the rev counter doesn't work from time to time which I think will be the voltage reg on the clocks as it tends to dance up and down between living and dying sometimes!

My first surprise of ownership was that the car was actually still in MOT Also there's a ton of paperwork including a lot of new brake parts such as lines, cylinders and the BPR at the back. It had recon PAS rack at a cost of 140 2 years ago. VWSH until 134k. Car's had a lot of suspension problems and now sits on Spax adjustables (with adjuster!) and unknown -40mm? (I can just 2 finger the arches) springs. Black Diamond discs and uprated pads (unknown) at front too.

I knew the car needed a tune. It didn't feel fast, and I know it's just 115hp but I was expecting more. Blue coolant sensor?! LOL. That's the only thing I know about on 8valve engines But the car ran spot on, no problems of any kinds. I took the cambelt cover off and it was VERY slack so I decided that it probably missed it's cambelt at 160k and I booked it in after picking up a Gates Powergrip kit. After that the car felt much much better :thumbup:

Well, actually I did have one problem. I snapped the MFA/Wiper stalk clean off. I couldn't believe it. The guys said the washers didn't work so I tried to use them and SNAP. Insane. I got back to Oxford, and took the steering wheel off followed quickly by the stalk. Seems it had been glued once before. After a couple of 2nd hand early spec (white MFA molex connector not black!) MFA stalks they just kept dying, so I've bought a brand new non-MFA spec stalk just so I can have use of both front and rear wash and wipers. I'm going to build the MFA into a dash blank with a bit of CAD work. I think I can knock up something period without offending the purists (too much).

Despite not being a special edition, the car has an almost mint rainbow interior, and Castellets. Only thing missing is the metallic black paintwork instead of flat black, but I'm happy with it as is! Also has an unmolested rear parcel shelf which must be at least 50 scene points :lol:[:$] First MOT I had it for required rear plate lights and sorting out the horn.

All in all, not a bad little car for 400.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tailgate is a bit rusty. A couple of scabs and a parking ding, plus a LOT of rust around the rear washer rubber:

[​IMG]

Apart from this, the body is quite straight with just some minor dings etc:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And an overview:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a random dashboard shot (shows the right stalk before I broke it. Obvious superglue line!)

[​IMG]

Since all of that ^^^ I've put on a number of coolant hoses, new thermostat and housing, ignition switch, exhaust parts, Uniroyal RainExperts all round and probs some other things I forget. Oh! white plastic vac lines on the airbox too. Braided ones to do this week.

Seems to be drinking a bit at the mo, so i've ordered various new sensors (BTS, knock etc) and hoping to run through Rubjonny's mythical tuning guide before too long.

For the rest of this week, I'll be doing the commute down the A34 to Newbury, and then after I'll be going northbound to Bracknell so do wave if you see me about :)

Jon

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  2. smp1987 Forum Member

looks in good condition what year is it?

3. jonlikescad Forum Member

It's an 89. I've just ordered genuine knock sensor as it's really frayed and also new blue temp sensor so hopefully get my fuel consumption down.

4. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

Hey mate - nice motor - I particurly like those wheels. More of a mid to late MK2 on an 89 G though.

Good luck tidying her up :)

Cheers

Dan

5. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

'89 is only a couple of years off the final ones produced and five years after the first ones. By no means early! For 400 you can't go wrong though

6. smp1987 Forum Member

yeah as Dan says there is nothing early about your mk2 its a late digi anything befor late 87 is early

but there is nothing early about dan's any more ether :lol: well just he number plate :p

7. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Doors and clocks are still original, although the doors will be changed at some point :p

8. jonlikescad Forum Member

Ah sorry about that! I thought 90 was the cut off? maybe that's just for the CE1/CE2 changeover.

9. jonlikescad Forum Member

You know, i'm still not sure this is a "late" golf.

It has 239mm brakes up front, hazard switch on the dash to name but a few things.

10. WillG

WillG Forum Member

239s are normal for 8vs, it's got small bumpers and big side trims, I'd also say that someone has probably swapped the interior for the rainbow trim at some point too.

1990 and 1991 are 'late' ones ('90 spec).

11. nealey Forum Junkie

1991 and 1992 are late ones, I've got a genuine runout 92 mk2 8v.

12. jonlikescad Forum Member

Cool thanks for confirming guys!

I get confused with mechanical versus electrical swapover years!

Yeah I guess someone put the rainbow in there, the bolsters are perfect so it might have been a recent addition. It is a bit of a Campaign wannabe I think, just missing the metallic black paint!

13. jonlikescad Forum Member

Fresh MOT - feels good [:D]

Thought I'd pop on and say that Willow now has a fresh MOT with absolutely nothing needing doing! :thumbup: There was an advisory about play in rear wheel bearings so I'll nip those up shortly.

Last year it only needed number plate bulbs (turned out the connectors had gone very green with copper oxide) and the horn fixing (one of the 3 screws holding the stalks on had backed off making contact with horn ring connector on steering wheel).

Do 8vs just never die? This has certainly fared better than either of the KR powered cars I had!

14. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

nice one ont he MOT dude. Its quite normal to pick up an advisoy for rear bearings on a mk2 same as slight play in front top mounts. Id be careful if you do "nip them up" not to over do it. IMO a smidge of play when cold is how they should be (MOT testers are just used to more modern cars where 0 play is correct)

Cheers

Dan

15. jonlikescad Forum Member

Cheers Dan, Aren't the rear bearing nuts the only thing on the car where just hand tight is actually correct? The car had this as an advisory before I got it too so perhaps you're right and garages are just not realising that this is normal in an old car.

At some point I'd like to build up some 256 front hubs and swap them over - these 239s are getting old now and 256 parts are cheap as chips anyway.

16. jonlikescad Forum Member