Window regulator swap/wiring problems

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by knell01, Aug 24, 2012.

1. knell01 New Member

Sorry, newbie here.
    i'm sure it's probably been covered in the past but, anyway,

drivers side window=motor noise, no movement but can slide it up and down manually.

passenger side=slow movement

its a really early mk3 8v 4door (91/92), my problem is, i have purchased 2 new window regulators with motors.

i striped the door back, took the mech & motor out the door only to realize the connector block is totally different.

the old ones (original) are a simple 2 pin connector straight to the motor and the new ones have a load of gubbins underneath with a 15 pin connector block.

A "BROSE" unit?

can i still use the ones i have bought? if so, whats the best way to go about it?

cut the blocks out of a later scraper? (which pins would need wiring up?)

i'd buy some original replacements and sell these but can't find any like mine anywhere.:cry:

Ta.
    :clap:

2. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

Hello,

I suspect the regulator units in your car are after-market items, and you've unknowingly bought original equipment ("Brose" manufacture) ones. My car was the same. I think the only way the o.e. type will work is with the relevant wiring fitted to the car as well. That can be done, but it's a lot of work.

Are there capped holes in the trim panels? If so, then you could fit manual winding units instead.

3. knell01 New Member

Oh right, gutted.

cheers Dougie, going to give tebay another week and go have a look what gsf have got. (think they might have a universal set)

other than that manuals will be going in, you are right too, the hole for window winders have plastic blanks inserted so the leccys must be after market.
    never paid any attention to that.

thanks again