Windows 98? cheap upgarde/alternatives?

Discussion in 'Computers and Consoles' started by Lofty, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Lofty Forum Member

I'm beggining to have problems getting compaitible drivers/software for my ageing windows 98 operating system. whats the cheapest way of updating to something more modern and compatible? problem is i dont want pay much for the priveliage and could do without the hassel that sometimes comes with copied software etc.

2. Jeff Forum Junkie

well the cheapest option, legally, is probably linux. But its a whole different ball game from windows, EVERYTHING works differently. but you can download it for free [:D]

3. MrBen Forum Junkie

Free copy of XP or 2000 Pro would be the cheapest and easiest upgrade, so long as your machine is up to it! Of course I'd never advocate copying software...

4. Lofty Forum Member

any i likley to experience problems later?
    is there a way round the registration problems where is 2 are online at the same time one cuts out or is that a myth?

5. Lofty Forum Member

my PC is made up of a 1.4 gig AMD processor, with 1/4 gig of ram and 40 gig stored memory. does that sound up to the job of running XP?

6. MrBen Forum Junkie

Sounds fine for XP. I've PM'd you re registration.

7. Lofty Forum Member

MrBen,

cheers mate that very helpful indeed i might need a little help in the near future