Windows going down randomly!

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by Dan W, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

My Seat Leon has developed a very annoying fault of opening all it's windows randomly when parked up. As you can imagine it's not ideal and when it rains the car interior gets soaked. It's a 2000 SE model so has electric windows all round that opening/close on the key, the locks have always been a problem on this car so much so that I stopped locking it about two years ago. I tried vagcom but it won't even link to the Comfort ECU so no help there, any ideas people?

2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Iv not had this one yet lol
    but i know your pain
    did you try doing a full scan with vagcom raver than trying to link to Comfort module
    not that i think it will show a fault
    dose one off the door lights stay on

3. andipandi Paid Member Paid Member

drivers window control unit is wet ,the water comes down the wiring from the mirror

4. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Thanks for the info, will take the door panel off later and have a gander :thumbup:

5. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

Also with the locks beeing dodgy as you say, is that a barrel faulty, not springing back? which in turn looks after the control signal for the windows

have you tried scanning the whole car via Auto-Scan, or just gone direct to channel 35 or 46?

6. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

The barrels were faulty, I did think this straight away so changed them. The problem still remained though, it used to be that the door locks would turn and lock that door only and not the rest or set the alarm. Or worse still, arm the car but then not disarm which was a pain so I stopped locking it. I took the door panel off yesterday and sure enough a couple of plugs were wet, I've dried them out and sprayed contact cleaner on them and it seems to be ok now, all the locks are working fine as is the alarm

7. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

More problems! after seemingly sorting the window fault it then developed a fault with the radio and the locks played up again, I also had water drip onto my foot as I drove so I stripped the lower half of the dash below the steering wheel to check all the wiring and connections, only to find the whole area soaking wet. Turns out it has been leaking (possibly for some time) through the scuttle straight onto all the electrics. I've cleaned out the scuttle and made sure the drains are clear and dried out all the wet plugs. Hopefully that is now it [:|]

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

I was going to reply with 'Get a Mac' but then I realised you meant the car windows :lol:

You might want to get a fan heater in there to try and dry it out... obviously you want to be careful you don't set it all on fire!

9. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

This is an issue with water ingression in the window regulator!

Had the same problem on my ibiza!! Check Drivers and Passengers.

10. DGT

DGT Forum Member

wow, i was warned not to buy a Seat due to dodgy electrics, seems the rumours are true... heard of one owner having to fork out for a new 2.5k dashboard cos the integral stereo went tits up..this was after being warned off buying a mk5 golf because of rust and them generally being ****..no wonder Skoda are doing so well

11. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Exactly the same as buying a mk4 golf, they all suffer with the same things. Apart from this problem though the car has been unbelievably good, we've done 70,000 miles on ours and that's after buying it with 90k on the clock. The only time it's let us down was a flat battery due to the missus leaving the lights on