Windscreen Replacement

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by ShaggsyG60, May 9, 2006.

1. ShaggsyG60 Forum Member

Afternoon peeps.

A mate needs to get his mk2 windscreen replaced. Hes only tpft, so was looking for the cheapest option. And a rough price. cheers for any response!

Nick

2. Unknown Forum Junkie

Phone VW and see if they have one in stock, normally about the 50 mark. I dont bother with the insurance replacements these days, quicker to do it my self and save getting the roof, pillars and scuttle scratched by 'expert fitters' that you have to wait half a day for.

3. ShaggsyG60 Forum Member

50 from a stealers! :o

Wanna come fit it? In the south west?!

4. Unknown Forum Junkie

Alst one I got was 52 if my memory swerves me correctly.
    If I was still in the S/W I would, sadly I got lured away and havent been able to move back....

5. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

get one from a breakers and fit it yourself... its dead easy.. you just need a big length of string..

6. funkbaron Forum Junkie

i'm about to change all the glass (not windscreen) in mine, is it feasibly a DIY job - the string i assume is to go round the rubber and you pull it out from inside while someone is pushing on the window.....correct? Do i need one of those window sucker jobs?

7. loadsavalves

loadsavalves Forum Member

That's correct mate. A little lubrication on the rubber will make it a bit easier, But don't use washing up liquid!